• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anemic and not getting better

My daughter (14) has advanced Crohn's and she is anemic. Has been taking 2 Ferrex 150 capsules daily with no change. She had an iron infusion a couple weeks ago and still has an iron infusion level of 4. Has anyone else had this happen?

Iron infusions increase more ferritin than iron levels. How was her hemoglobin? Is she is anemic you should monitor that even if it could take few months and more infusion to got hemoglobin and iron levels back to normal. Usually i got significant results in terms of hemoglobin increase at least 3 weeks after the infusion, while iron increase slightly but ferritin goes eventually higher normal range.
Hope she'll be fine soon

Maya142

Staff member
It happened to my daughter too. Do you mean Ferritin or total iron? Ferritin is what they should be following. My daughter needed 4-5 infusions over a month or two (now I can't remember exactly what we did - it was 5 years ago!) to get her Ferritin level up. Her hemoglobin was 9 but her Ferritin was VERY low - something like 3 I think.

We tried oral iron first but it upset her stomach and it didn't help her Ferrritin levels at all.

Has his duodenum been scoped? I am more anemic if there is any inflammation there (as opposed to the rest of my small intestine). Also, have you tried different types of iron? Sometimes people respond better to one than another. I take ferrous gluconate every day. It's done a fairly good job; I am always slightly anemic, with my hemoglobin hovering around 10-11.

Her iron saturation level is 4. Wondering if she should see a hematologist or stay with Gastroenterologist for this issue also.

Maya142

Staff member
We were referred to a hematologist. He was more interested in Ferritin - those are iron stores, but also looked at iron saturation.