• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anhidrosis?

Does anyone on here have anhidrosis?

I've always had a problem with not sweating, but never thought it was a medical concern. So, I never mentioned it to my doctor.

My husband was Googling and found something on anhidrosis, which is basically defined as a lack of sweating.

Even when I'm working out at the gym, I won't sweat. The only times I've ever recalled actual sweating was when I had my abscess and had night sweats...or was too hot during the winter and was wrapped up in too many blankets. But, regardless of the physical exertion I endure I have never "broken a sweat."

I wonder if this could be why, now that I am on Imuran, I seem to be extra sensitive to the heat and I will break out in heat rash. Last summer, we were in the middle of moving and I got it really bad. I lifted my shirt and my torso had what looked like beads of sweat all over them. I rubbed my finger over it and the sweat beads burst and the rash went away after that. IT was like the sweat couldn't get through my pores or something.

Anyway...I don't know if it may be Crohn's related or not. Was wondering if anyone on here had heard about it or had any experience with it. How can it be treated?

Thanks for any info. I, of course, haven't discussed this with my doctor, so I am not diagnosed with it or anything. Just heard about this condition tonight.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hm, sorry Marisa, but I seem to have the opposite problem! I sweat a lot, even when I'm not warm (sometimes I sweat when I'm freezing cold!). I bought that "prescription strength" deodorant but even that doesn't stop me from getting pit stains - yuck! And don't even get me started on the night sweats, I get absolutely drenched. I sweat when I exercise, if it's remotely warm out, if I get stressed, anything like that. It's annoying!

Yeah, I imagine the opposite problem would be quite frustrating as well. I just worry about my ability to be out n the heat without suffering from heatstroke or something, especially if my body is unable to cool itself down.

I've always wanted to train to run, but I imagine if I'm running long periods while it's sunny out I might "run" into some trouble with heat exhaustion.

I have the same problem as Cat. I have finally found an underarm deodorant that mostly works (it's a 48-hour one that I apply twice a day!). Even then, I sweat so much elsewhere that sometimes I feel like I wet my pants!

Marisa, have you tried carrying a spray bottle of water with you? You can get perfumed 'body mists' that spray a very fine mist on your skin (so fine you barely feel the wetness, just cooling), but I imagine regular water would do just as good at cooling you, by doing the same job that sweating does naturally. Applying water to the face and neck is particularly effective at cooling you down.