• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Annoyed at a Book

I've been reading a book that until now, I thought was really sweet and enjoyable. It is called Backward Compatible: A Geek Love Story. I got to a part where the two main characters (the two that fall in love) are trying to find a date for the guy's friend. When the guy sees a girl he thinks his friend might be interested in, he describes her as, "Cute, lonely and not likely to have Crohn's disease"

For some reason, the idea that a girl would be a possible date because she's not likely to have Crohn's disease really bothered me. I can't decide if I want to even finish the book.

SarahBear

Yeah, I'm a little confused by this as well. Was there any sort of lead-up, or did it really just come out of nowhere?

It is pretty offensive and ridiculous. Unfortunately, these types of comments are pretty typical of any medical condition.

Personally, I probably would stop reading the book. I'd also encourage everyone I know to not purchase it. :p

All in all though, it's really a ridiculous statement. I've yet to have anyone turn me down because of my Crohn's. I either get indifference or compassion. I'm sure I've been luckier than many in that respect, but I still find it ridiculous, and in all honesty, if someone ended a relationship or chose not to pursue a relationship with me based on the fact that I have Crohn's, I'd probably laugh at their narrow-mindedness and consider myself better off for it.

Edited: A little more bothered by it after looking up the book and seeing that it's targeted at young adults and has relatively good ratings. However, it looks like shit with it's cheap cover art and the excerpts don't sound any better. :p So there.

I got the book for free, and since I'm a geek, I thought it would be a good read. It was until that line. It was so out of the blue. The authors throw out pop culture and geek references every other sentence, so I imagine they thought it would be some sort of hip sounding condition for dating or saying she wasn't too thin or something. I found one of the authors' web site, and am considering asking why she chose to add this into the book, especially since they never once mention it before. I don't know if it comes up later, though.

nogutsnoglory

I think it's a good idea to ask the author why she did that and explain how you feel. It won't change it but it may be a teachable moment.

valleysangel92

Staff member
So girls (or guys) with crohn's can't be cute/dateable? My guess is the author doesnt even know what crohns is and has just seen it on the back of a medication box or something, I can totally understand your disappointment.

I think it would certainly be a good idea to ask the author why they did this, and personally i'd be giving her all the gory details too :p

I asked the author about it via her website. I'll see if I get a response. I'm going to finish the book and see if there is any reason for this that might come up later (like an ex-girlfriend who had Crohn's or a family member or something). Other than this, I really have enjoyed the book, and love all the gaming references.

dave13

Forum Monitor
another offensive way to comment on someones size? You get to insult two groups of people instead of just one,more bang for your buck.

As a writer, author myself I headed over to Amazon to check it out. I tried to Google the publisher and can't find it. I am thinking this might be self published. In any case, this will appear on my blog tomorrow. No YA with Crohn's should be subjected to that one sentence put down. I am livid. Reviews on Amazon are taken very seriously. I am an Amazon Vine Reviewer and my voice will be heard. But I have to wait to calm down. Oh, this seriously makes me mad.

This is the reply I got from the author: "I think it has more to do with her being nearly 90… which is clearly stated." However, here is the exchange:
"Fine. Hey, look at her. She seems cute, lonely and not likely to have Crohn's disease,: he says and points.

We follow Lanyon's outstretched finger to a tiny girl with huge glasses. Her hair is long, straight and brown. It also looks like she may not have washed it for a few days. This could be Lanyon's perfect match.
How in the world does this make her being nearly 90. I just hate this woman now and will never read another one of her books. I got the book from Amazon, so I intend to give it a bad review.

valleysangel92

Staff member
That's rediculous... personally shed be getting a big mouthful with all the gory details of what crohns really is.. Just another example of how prejudiced and judgemental the world is about things they don't understand... *Hugs*

Here's the review I gave it on Goodreads:

I'd give it zero stars if I could. I don't know why the author felt it necessary to make fun of people with Crohn's disease. If you can't write witty dialog, don't make fun of people in an attempt. I emailed the author, and she replied, "I think it has more to do with her being nearly 90… which is clearly stated."

However the girl is described as having long brown straight hair. Nothing indicates she's nearly 90. And even so, why bring her health into it.

Obviously this author has no idea what she's talking about even with her own book.

On another note this is a great lesson in free speech. She is allowed to say what she pleases and we can state our position as well. I will blog about this tomorrow.

SarahBear

I am very confused by the author's response. It makes no sense whatsoever. The appropriate thing for the author to do would have been to explain the thought process and apologize for offending you, whether or not she intends to change the book or her attitudes. I'll definitely be avoiding anything written by either of these individuals.

It is just thoughtless and it really bothers me so I had my say today and now I'm done. The book is self published so it is an easy process to take it down, make the changes, and put it back up. If it was in the adult category I'd probably let it go, but teenagers read YA. And they are still vulnerable.