• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Annoyed

I really dislike when people who don't have this disease or those who aren't educated about it try and tell me how I should handle it. My mother in law keeps telling me that I just need to exercise more or I need to eat better. Sometimes it's a struggle to get off the couch and some of the foods that are good for someone can send me to the bathroom for the day. I feel if you don't live with a chronic illness you shouldn't be telling the people that do how to live their life. We fight our own bodies everyday and no one understands how hard that is until they themselves live it. Sorry for the rant, but I know you guys all understand how I'm feeling. You get it because you live it.

David

Co-Founder
I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. :(

*hugs*

I think most people in those situations are being sincere, they just handle it poorly. Have you tried communicating how it makes you feel with her in a way that isn't attacking her but educating her?

I've had many discussions with her about it, but she is one of those people who believes she knows everything and is always right. Normally I just ignore it, but it does become hard to let it roll off your shoulders all the time. I've been living with this for 13 years so I do feel I know my body the best and know how to handle a flare even if it doesn't make sense to others.