• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Annoying relatives

Back home from the countryside. I am so sad that a place I loved as a child has slowly turned into a place I dread to go to. :( This trip just totally confirmed it. Because of my short gut I use the toilet about 15+ times a day or so. At the farm they have a septic tank. Every time I go there my uncle "reminds" me to use the small flush on the toilet and makes remarks (and jokes) about the tank filling up and such. I don't think he realizes it, but its really hurtful. Ofc I try use as little water as I can, but I am not going to leave the toilet a mess when after using it. An other thing I get tiny remarks about is taking up room in the fridge wiht my ORS and nutrition drinks. I try put just 1 days worth in at a time, and they hardly take that much room.. but every time I get asked if its needed to be there or something of that sort. Both things just make me feel so unwelcome and unwanted there. We used to spend avery holidays there and now I find myself making exuses not to go and begging my mom to make the visits short (like this time comming home today (sunday) instead of tomorrow).

An other thing that bothers me is we drive there a long distance (4 hours) and its 7 people that arrived this time. 2 of them their own childrend and spouses (and new born baby) and then me and my mom. And they had no food reserved for us. I was un able to believe this. We arrived early afternoon and were ofered just bread and later in the evening before bed got a soup that was hardly food for 5 to split with 9 hungry people. I usually make sure I carry my needed foods and drinks and snacks, but I was expecting to have a proper dinner especially when all us girls (as in my cousisns spouses) are skinny. My aunt well knows my condition and the mother of the newlyborn needs good nutrition too. It was such a shoc and again something that just made me feel unwelcome. I went to bed hungry and for me thats a bad start on the next day because my energy level drop hugely over night. Had we know this we would have brought food with us. As it was good friday shops on that day were closed so no options were available at that point anymore.

Just disapointed that a place I used to love and spend all my free time at as a child has turned into a place I no longer want to go and stay at. My mom was diapointed too and was amazed of the behaviour of her sister. I know because of this weekend I will again be wanting to go there even less and probably wont go there for a long time. I might have not even went there now but it was the christning of my cousins baby and we were invited and I wanted to be there. I dont have siblings and my cousins are the closest I have to brothers. Just hurt so much of yeat again a bad visit there.

Also makes me hate myself and my illnes even more for being difficult and demanding. So meny special needs. Just want to stay in my own home where no one is responsible for the situation in my fridge or bathroom but me. And no one makes remarks and just can be who I am. With the love of my 4-legged family that never judge me.

Hate holidays...

Also my cousin had aperentlyu had the flu a week ago and now his wife had her fever rise and got very sick to her stomach too and he had some sort of stomach bug.. also ½ of the wives relatives visiting for the babtism informed to have had a stomach but when they had got home. So now I am worried to see if I get one of these. If its the stomach bug its most likely a trip to the hospital for me. Its not their falt that they were sick, but had they informed me before hand of the risk to get the flu I may have skipped the event. I do have low imune system being on Humira and my shorg gut makes it hard to handle fever and especially a stomach flu. So now waiting to see if I get any of these as a great ending to shis weekend. :(

Ughh gosh, I am so so sorry. I would be mad to about the whole everyone being sick with the stomach bug! That crap is so contagious it is unreal. I pray you dont get it. I agree, they know you are not well, the least they could have done is let you know the sickness was going around before hand. Hopefully you will be ok.

Also my cousin had aperentlyu had the flu a week ago and now his wife had her fever rise and got very sick to her stomach too and he had some sort of stomach bug.. also ½ of the wives relatives visiting for the babtism informed to have had a stomach but when they had got home. So now I am worried to see if I get one of these. If its the stomach bug its most likely a trip to the hospital for me. Its not their falt that they were sick, but had they informed me before hand of the risk to get the flu I may have skipped the event. I do have low imune system being on Humira and my shorg gut makes it hard to handle fever and especially a stomach flu. So now waiting to see if I get any of these as a great ending to shis weekend. :(

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yay for "family." :p I'm sorry your family experience is also unpleasant. :( Same here, used to be great to go to the grandparent's house when I was kid. Once I grew up and got to experience who these people really are, I don't like them. The ONLY reason why I go over there is because they are family. If they weren't I'd never see those people ever again. Nothing but rude comments left and right. All I want to do is disappear outside and hope that no one comes looking for me. Although its funny to find others already outside bitching about the people inside. :p

Recently I've also gotten to deal with my sister and her kids and all the colds and sicknesses they get. They also don't tell use that they're sick. We either find out about it later or while where there after one of the kids gives you a big wet with snot hug. Awesome. Now I want to spray myself down with Lysol. :p I've tried telling my sister that I'm on Remicade and could get sick easily. When I told her she was understanding, now though, I guess she forgot/doesn't care?

I hope you don't get sick. You don't need that on top of everything else. *HUGS*

Thats exactly what this is too. Exept instead of grandparrents its my aunt. People I used to love to spend time with. And then you grow up and just.. nothing is like it was. This all has become more strong since my grandma passed away 3 years ago. I gues before I would be at her house and not at my aunts so I was able to avoid some of the situations. Now that she is gone we stay at my aunts. Funny how a childs image of something is so different. Then you notice you dont really like the people.. and feel bad ang guilty a bit too. I gues its like they say.. you cant choose your family.

Geez! Well, I guess that makes me a little less unhappy about having to spend Easter with neighbors instead of family. Our neighbors don't have any family close by either, so we all made and brought food to share, while I spent the entire time cleaning computer viruses and optimizing their children's laptops and netbooks--wasn't exactly how I wanted to spend Easter Sunday.

Hard to believe your own aunt didn't have any food for you. I don't know that I'd ever go there again.

Hey, sorry that your relatives are annoying you, it can never be easy when people don't understand what you are going through, i am the same with some of my family. I have small cousins which just don't listen when they are told off, and feel fit to jump on my stomach and stuff. This is horrid makes me so mad, but they are only small so I can't really help but get angry but can't say anything!

What can you do?

The food thing was a bit funny too. She made this soup with just potatoes, carrots and some sausages in it. The 6 us us "kids" (we are all around 30 years allready.. but kids forever I gues).. ate first and you can imagine us all being hungry and the soup really not being anough food for even 5 ate most of it trying hard to leave some fot the "adults" (lol). They come to have dinner, and she had the nerve to complain that we had eaten all the sausages from the soup. Lol. There was maybe 500g of meat in it.. no kidding its gone in a heart beat. Even my mom was astonished by that one later when I was discussing (complaining) about it with her. And my aunt is fat too.. she didnt need any... all the "kids" are skinny or normal size.

Anyways.. glad to be home and eat what I wan twhen I want it. :)

Sanni, i was just reading your post about your family.
Did you ever end up getting a bug? I hope NOT!!!

I think we can just learn from their mistake. Treat family with love and respect. If someone is coming, plan to make a lot of food and have fun. and dont make people feel guilty for being sick. It is not your fault. Unless you get an apology, I dont think I would ever go back either. Too bad for them.

Hope you are doing better.

I really think that people do not have a clue as to what we go through with all of our problems with Crohns. I find it very difficult to even explain because the symptoms can become so severe that even we don't know when or where it may hit. It makes it even harder when on the outside we make look normal but on the inside our digestive system is a mess. The best way I know to explain it is our body on the outside is like a new paint job on a car that has a blown motor. Anyone whom experiences the symptoms of the dreaded D and pain and going multiple times to the bathroom is a brave and courageous individual because we have learned how to deal with urbane make the most of our lives. So the next time someone makes a comment about your symptoms tell them if they could live one day with what we go through they would never make another comment about what we have to deal with. I give you all the support your not getting from the people that should be considerate of your illness. I don't mean to sound snippy but it's time we tell these individuals exactly what we deal with and how strong of a person it takes to go through each daybknowing what its going to be like.