• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another seton question

another seton question

Hi Folks,

Quick question....my seton has moved so the knot is now inside the fistula hole. Its annoying and painful to sit on but not severe or anything.

Should I pull it back out, or do you think the knot is ok in there?

Thanks!

Edit: I have tried to move it back out and I cant reach it or move it out.

Last edited:
Hi,
When I went in for my 2 week follow up apt after having the seton placements the surgeon said that pulling on that thing is a good idea. Stops the seton from healing into the skin or something.

But.... like you I can't get at one of them. I can feel the knot in the fistula hole but it is too far in there to grab it. During the follow up he was working on it with a forceps and jerked it all around. OW! Not sure how you get at it without one though.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I just cant reach it, and its sore from me trying to move it. Going to leave it for the follow up. Makes sense to keep it moving though so it doesn't fuse to the tissues inside. Good luck with yours too.

Rivers! This is the worst part of setons...

My advice: Get in a hot, hot tub. Then, drag your finger along the seton, towards your butt-hole, slowly dragging it out of the fistula. You don't have to pull. The small amount of friction will take it out. As you slowly drag it out of the fistula, it'll get pulled into your bum... But it needs to be in a bath, or else it'll hurt.

If you can't actually reach your seton at all, try sitting on the back of your butt, with your knees bent, and your feet supporting you. Reach down the front, move any icky parts out of the way, and slide your finger across the seton, towards your bum hole.

Best of luck :D

Thank you Ben, this helps a lot. I have tried and tried but now its way up in the fistula. I will try to move it in the hot bath, good idea. :thumright:

Just work at it patiently. It doesn't matter how slow you go, but the friction from you sliding your finger across it will eventually bring it down. Just don't pull. That might hurt :/

Good luck :D

Thank you soooo much for the above advice. It took me an hour but I got it to move down out of the fistula! Im so happy right now. The hot bath and the friction was key. I had tried moving it with finger cots and a mirror but there was not enough friction Thanks so much!!!:dance:

Thank you soooo much for the above advice. It took me an hour but I got it to move down out of the fistula! Im so happy right now. The hot bath and the friction was key. I had tried moving it with finger cots and a mirror but there was not enough friction Thanks so much!!!:dance:
:)