• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another surgery for ANOTHER abscess

The fun never ends for some of us. I have ANOTHER abdominal abscess that hurts like heck and is draining on his own (I did help it a little by lancing it with a sterile syringe).

Saw my GI surgeon and he said that he has to go back in and see where the infection is coming from PLUS do culture to see if it's MRSA AGAIN, staph, or steph. PLUS, he is going to do a biopsy on my rectal stump to r/o Crohn's and cancer.

I really thought for sure this was going to be my year at age 45. I was going to do things that I couldn't do before due to an abscess wound not healing for 1 1/2 yrs. !!! (you read that right). Turned out it was due to my body rejecting a suture that wasn't tied to anything so I pulled it out when cleaning the area.

My plans for FL are shot and I may even come home with a wound vac AGAIN!! fun times for me. So sick of this. anybody else dealing with repeat abscesses and surgeries??

nogutsnoglory

I'm so sorry you are going through these repeat infections. Are you on a maintenance med? Why do the doctors think these keep coming back?

I have crohn's. been on maintenance medication for over 20 yrs.

Surgeon says Crohn's patients are prone to abscesses and fistulas. I do have a pus pocket so that may be it but still won't know the cause (MRSA, staph, strep) until a culture is done.

luck of the draw I guess.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this GW. :hug:

What is your Crohn's up to?

I would have to think that if you are getting repeated abscesses then you aren't in remission, or are they breakdown's from surgery?

My kids had complications of fistulas and abscesses but not since remission.

Of course if you were nicer to me in the R rated thread all this just might go away. :ybiggrin:

Dusty. xxx

my Crohn's is in remission. ostomy is working great. GI thinks it's a breakdown from surgery and the wound really didn't heal from the inside out and thus, the pus pocket.

yeah, I'll be nice to you when hell freezes over my friend. ha ha! :lol2: