• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another Test That Just May Not Be "Bad Enough" - Opinions?

I saw my allergist for my annual visit. He ordered lots of lab work in light of my recent issues with my health ( cholycystecyomy, lack of firm Crohn's diagnosis) . All of the bloodwork came back normal EXCEPT two values;

TIBC : results: 392 high ( normal range 112-346)
% Saturation : 19 low ( 20-55 normal range)

I looked these up. They have to do with iron binding and binding capacity. This is not the first time I've had iron deficient results. I saw a hemotologist 2 years ago for evaluation. Took iron pills, results came up to normal. He said if I persist in becoming iron deficient I need to look at other areas of possible bleeding or malabsorption. I am menapausel ( 2 years now) so can't blame it on menstrual cycle.

The web lists conditions for these values of which Crohn's and malabsorption are listed. Iron is absorbed in the small intestine. I also have some fatigue ( ongoing for sometime now).

I see my GI in a week. Is he going to look at these values and tell me " They are not bad enough?" In light of all of my other GI issues, I am hopeful this is a small sign? Or will it be dismissed?

I'm no iron expert, very new to the area myself, but I don't think the saturation is much, being one point below normal.

Your other test is elevated though and with a history of iron issues maybe the two together will count for something.

Might hemotology be worth another visit since it has been two years?