• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Answers please...

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I've been taking Humira for over a year and have recently started Sulfasalazine and folic acid. For about a month now the joints on the right side of my body have swelled up. Wrist, elbow, knee, and ankle. At first it was just my wrist and then slowly moved to my elbow and ankle. It was to the point where I could hardly use that hand because it hurt. Eventually the swelling and pain started to decrease in both the wrist and elbow. I still cannot outstretch my arm all the way and my elbow is still a little tender. My ankle has really never caused me much pain. A few days ago my knee blew up. It is huge and I'm limping. I called my GI doctor and they asked that I go see a regular doctor to get it checked out. I did and they ran a complete blood count as well as checking my inflammation and doing a rheumatoid factor. (Sorry if butchered that spelling.) Inflammation level was elevated (duh) and the rheumatoid factor came back negative. He advised that I go see an Orthopedic. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this themselves??? Because this whole hobbling along is getting really old. This is all just on the right side.

It sounds like an Extra Intestinal Manifestation of Crohns. If you Google EIMs of Crohn's Disease there is a great article that covers all the forms of joint pain/arthritis that go with CD. I think most often rf factor is negative