• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anti-depressants-Do they work?

Hey

Since a young teenager I had depression. Then I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease which hit me quite hard, then the medication etc..

I have dark thoughts frequently but I also feared asking for help from my Dr. I feared the label, the stigma attached with mental health and I am not a confident person, I have a low self-esteem which may be due to depression. I didn't want other people, Doctors, nurses to see that I was taking anti-depressants and form some kind of judgment.

Anyway. I plucked up the courage to see my Dr and I was proscribed anti-depressants. Do the work? Do they help?

I am in a low place and I just hope they work, as if not I fear I may do something drastic/stupid.

Hi cam, glad you plucked up the courage to see your Dr. Yes antidepressants do work, but take awhile, if you feel like you are feeling worse on them please tell your Dr as the dosage may not be right or the type of antidepressant may not suit you. Please don't feel like you are being judge, as I not what it is like. I have been where you are now, and come out the other side, it's a long road, but you will get there. I hope this helps x

nogutsnoglory

Yes, they can absolutely help and sometimes dramatically. Which were you prescribed?
they usually take a few week's to kick in.

Thank you for the replies, I don't have anyone to talk to about how in feeling.

I was prescribed Fluoxetine. I hope they do work. I am a little anxious as the leaflet said that I could feel worse before I feel better, so i am scared of the suicidal thoughts.

Thanks again

Cam

Before I say anything else, I have to be honest and say that there is a cruel stigma surrounding mental illness, both within and outside of the medical system, the stigma is there.

But antidepressants have helped me more than I ever thought possible. In many cases, it is worth the stigmatisation. It did seem incredibly lucky that my doctor picked the right medication for me. I think that usually there's a lot of trial and error involved, finding the right medication, dosage, ways to deal with any side effects, etc. So stick with it if you don't get results with the first medication you try.

I know a lot of people say that antidepressants make them numb and they don't feel negative emotions, but they don't feel positive ones either. It's not like that for me. I still feel negative emotions, but they don't overwhelm me anymore; I can see things in perspective which allows me to make much better judgments about how to act and respond to things. I'm not sure if that's how antidepressants work for others, but if you start to notice that happening, take it as a good sign.

Antidepressants have been known to cause an increase in negative emotions and suicidal ideation, though this usually applies to a small minority of people - if it happened to a significant number, the medication would not still be being prescribed. Tell your doctor right away if you do find your depression increasing, even if you're not sure if it's due to the meds, and even if you're getting more depressed but not thinking about suicide.

nogutsnoglory

I'm on fluoxetine and its helped me tremendously. If it doesn't help after 6 weeks you can try a different one. Something will help!

I have found that it takes a Psychologist to properly dispense anti-depression meds. I started out having general practitioners and it didnt go well. But once I hooked up with my current doctor I have been on the road to recovery.

Yes.
They are not magic but they work.
Fluoxetine is an SSRI, so what this medication aims to do is to prevent your body from re-absorbing the serotonin it produces which will make serotonin more available in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter linked to feelings of well-being, so once there is more of it available you should begin to feel better.
Now, my experience of medication, is that it doesn't wave a magic wand and make all your problems go away. But what it does is make you better able to cope with them. It made me feel more rational, less easily set off, with fewer intrusive negative thoughts.
Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone for your replies, I really do appreciate it. As I mentioned I've not really got anyone else to talk to.

I'm 24, I was diagnosed with Crohn's at 20. With the Crohn's and depression I shut my self off from people and my friends just stopped contacting me, I told them I was going through a rough time, but since they have up on me, I suppose they weren't very good friends anyway.

Thanks

Cam

Hi CAM,
I have a good friend that takes fluoxetine and it works great for her! I hope it works for you as well. I think it is finding the right one for you and your body. Just try to stay positive and keep hopeful. You have friends here. I shut myself off from the world for a few years after I was diagnosed.. But I eventually snapped out of the closed off feeling. Things are better now.. And I feel hope where before I didn't. I hope the best for you. I think its really normal, just not talked about a lot to have a period in our lives where things aren't in the direction we want .. And life seems full of doubt. But if we can hold on and keep pushing on.. Those days will one day be a distant memory. I found that I had social anxiety after being closed off for so long. Clonazepam helped with that for me. And I Aldo take celexa.. I m not sure how much that helped.. But I don't seclude myself anymore. :)
Wishing you well..
Monica

Hey

Since a young teenager I had depression. Then I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease which hit me quite hard, then the medication etc..

I have dark thoughts frequently but I also feared asking for help from my Dr. I feared the label, the stigma attached with mental health and I am not a confident person, I have a low self-esteem which may be due to depression. I didn't want other people, Doctors, nurses to see that I was taking anti-depressants and form some kind of judgment.

Anyway. I plucked up the courage to see my Dr and I was proscribed anti-depressants. Do the work? Do they help?

I am in a low place and I just hope they work, as if not I fear I may do something drastic/stupid.
Yes they work IF you get on the correct one. I used to be o them for about 5 years. dark time in my life. He started me out on buse bar and it made me crazy. The doctor changed me to 40mg Lexapro. It saved my job and my marriage. Now after 5 years I started to have adverse effects and got off of it. I have not taken anti depressants in about 7 years now. If you get on the right one, you will fell better. If you walk around in a daze or angry at the world, need to change up so something drastic doesn't happen.

I have been on anti-depressants half my life. They just allow me to be me. I also recommend a therapist though. Depression and a chronic illness like Crohn's are both very challenging on their own. Combining them makes them exponentially harder. I have more or less successfully navigated having both for a long time though. Don't give up hope, its do-able.