• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotic Therapy May Help in Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Am J Gastroenterol 2011

Antibiotic therapy may induce remission in active ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, giving weight to the notion that inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is of bacterial origin.

But the researchers who drew this conclusion also said the data they pooled for a meta-analysis were difficult to interpret.

Dr. Paul Moayyedi of McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and colleagues note that while gut flora might play an important role in the pathogenesis of IBD, therapy has focused on suppressing the immune system rather than on use of antibiotics. Moreover, when antibiotics have been used, results were conflicting.

In 10 randomized trials involving 1160 Crohn's disease patients, antibiotics were effective in reducing the relative risk of active disease not in remission to 0.85 compared to placebo. A diverse variety of antibiotics were employed, including macrolides, fluoroquinolones, 5-nitroimidazoles, and rifaximin alone and in combination.

In particular, rifamycin derivatives either alone or in combination with other antibiotics appeared to have a significant effect at inducing remission in active Crohn's disease, the researchers said in a March 15th online paper in The American Journal of Gastroenterology.

There also were favorable findings in 123 patients with perianal Crohn's disease fistula who used either ciprofloxacin or metronidazole. Antibiotic therapy also appeared to reduced relapse in 186 patients with quiescent disease.

In nine randomized controlled trials involving 662 patients with ulcerative colitis, antibiotics were significantly more likely to induce remission.

The team cautions that the trend to overall benefit seen with antibiotics might be due to bias. Still, they think further research into the use of antibiotics is a priority.

"Ideally, individual antibiotics should be evaluated separately and together in a factorial design to establish whether different classes of antibiotics have a synergistic action in treating IBD," they conclude.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks David! Matt's GI at the hospital certainly believes that antibiotics play a role in remission and has prescribed them for 3 months post op.

Dusty. :)

The one and only time I've been in remission was induced by antibiotics. I'd been on flagyl and cipro combination and they were both making me sick. I went to see my family doctor and he wasn't around. The doctor filling in for him switched the antibiotics and gave me a 14-day (until I saw my GI) prescription for clarithromycin and clindamycin combination to replace cipro and flagyl.

Within 5 days, I went from being a bed-ridden mess to having the best 18-months I'd experienced in a long time. The combination hasn't worked as well for me since, and my GI won't prescribe the two in combination anymore because of risks of C.diff with those two antibiotics. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we can't get rifaximin here in Canada. Grrr.

Thanks for the article, David.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks for posting this David, I know from experience but kept it quiet that I take one flagyl or cipro a day...just starting to go back to VSL# to stop yeast infections from occurring. The antibiotic use is the only thing I have been using since Humira (over 3 years ago) stopped working. My Gi knows I know my body, but if I miss just one pill I start to flare. When the buzzing from Flagyl starts up then I switch to cipro and sometimes I skip a day or two but more than that or eat something with high fat, I am doomed. Works for me and glad to know it is an option. I dont have any other option and if I HAVE to have pred then it is a 35mg 3 days then taper, because both my doctors hate pred and I am NOT young. Ok, I am going now :lol:

Btw No, we dont have Rifixamin here, rats.