• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotic use - female issue

For those of you that have taken antibiotics for whatever reason, has it caused you to get a yeast infection? If so, do you wait until after all the antibiotics are gone to get treatment? I always get a yeast infection from oral antibiotics, but usually I don't notice any symptoms until within the week after I finish them all. I was put on Cephalexin last Thursday and by Saturday, I already had the yeast infection. It's just getting worse, obviously. Is this something I shouldn't let go any longer? I figured if I called for a Diflucan (I usually need three of them to really knock it out) already, it would be useless since I still have three days of the pills left.

Thanks for any help!

take some probiotics at different times to the antibiotic. ive taken diflucan along with antibs b4 and it kept it away.
im on remicade and i had a bad dose of thrush recently. it was very hard to shift. i was told to use pessaries along with the difflucan and use the cream. ive never had it that bad. so its down to the remicade.
i would start now if i were you.
i sympathize with you.
ju

I am also leaning more onto the "D" side of Crohn's while on it. Usually I tend to be on the "C" side. And major stomach upset. I want to say this is the first time I've been on an antibiotic since I was dx'd with Crohn's. Are we more prone to antibiotic sensitivity?

I have had to be on an antibiotic( low dose keflex) for like 5 years now to prevent UTI's. I only had one issue with a yeast infection and took diflucan( which really messed me up)! That drug is awful, gave me horrid side effects. I can never take that one again. I have also been on heavy doses of probiotics as well for years now though. Whenever you have to be on antibitoics( and even when you are not), it is a good idea to be on probiotics. Make sure you seperate taking the antibitoic and the probiotic by at least two hours so the probitoic does not get wiped out by the antibiotic. My gyno also told me you could put a acidophilis capsule in the vagina to balance the bacteria down there. ( I did not do this though). I know some natural health stores sell actual acidophilis suppositories that are made for treating yeast infections specifically.

I swear it is not fair what women have to go through! I mean if it's not a yeast infection, it's a bladder infection, WTH! I sometimes wish I was a guy for crying out loud!

Hope your infection clears up soon. They also say avoiding ALL sugars can help prevent yeast issues( though that is hard to do I know).