• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotics and Crohn's

I have a tooth abscess, and my doctor recommended that I take cipro. He also said that I can wait a little bit and do other remedies (mouth washes etc). Is there a high risk for taking cipro?

Hello, I have had to take antibiotics for implants and found that if I take a non-dairy strong (50 billion CFU) at least 2 hour before or 2 hrs after taking the medication it helps significatnly to get over the gastro effects.

Lynda Lynda

My dentist wanted to give me antibiotics because I had a high level of a certain bacteria in my mouth ( they did a lab test. ) I said NO antibiotics because I had UC. So instead I followed a three week strict dental regimen at home ( I used Therasol Antiseptic Mouth Rinse in my Waterpik. )
There are 3 antibiotics I cannot take.....I will have severe diarrhes.

Lynda, I also have the same reaction to antibiotics (Crohn’s), and experienced that for 3 weeks after 1st implant. Unfortunately with implants, the fear is one of bone infection. So for the 2nd implant, I took the high strength probiotic w/antibiotics and got over those symptoms in 3 days. I was in good health to begin with though, and in complete remission. That said, I wish that I could have used your method.

Lynda Lynda

Ok. I have an emergency trip to my dentist on Monday.
My gums are swollen, they hurt, have swollen glands, film on my tongue and more.
I hope I do not need antibiotics.
I have just started my treated for my Crohn's.
🌻

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with Crohn's last year and am currently taking Asacol 400mg - 3 tablets twice a day. I also take L-Glutamine and a probiotic every morning. My Crohn's seems to be stable. I have influenza and would like to know what medication I can take to ease the symptoms. I have been dosing myself with paracetamol.