• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotics, C. Diff, Ulcerations AND Cobblestoning

Long story short(er), I moved to Cali from DC, was given antibiotics twice for a sinus and tonsilitis infection. I started developing diarrhea 2x a day and at first it wasn't bad - I felt fine but after the second round of antibiotics, I did not feel well and went to the hospital. My wbc and inflammation was very high but I had a CT scan and it was pretty normal - they said I probably had crohns. After a sigmoidoscopy, they said I had ulcerative colitis.

The meds they gave me for this made me feel 100% worse. I was on the toilet all night, my temp went to 103, yada... My mom took me home and I saw a gastro in DC. With the UC diagnosis, he upped my meds. The next day, he called and said I had c. diff.

I was hospitalized, blood transplant, was on 4 different types of antibiotics and it never really got that much better. I had a cardiologist, infectious disease, gastro, etc. all standing around me and no one could really figure out what was wrong - they doubted that I had underlying IBD. The blood transplant did stabilize me, my c. diff tests came up neg, and I went home.

Post hospital, I weighed 95 pounds (Im 5 ft 7) and felt awful. Everything went straight through me and my dia was soup. I got a colonoscopy which showed cobblestoning, hemmoraging, ulcerations, everything, just in my large intestine. My dr. said I still prob had c. diff but he suspected UC.

I am confused... Can you have cobblestoning and ulcerations? I thought that is how you could tell UC and crohns apart. He never really gave me a firm diagnosis. He called me, said Id start on remicade, and when I asked "I dont get it, do I have UC?" he said I was not listening to him and I had IBD. I have done my second round of remicade and I am able to eat again. I have no pain. I have dia once in the morning but it is still SOUP.

Before all of this I never had bathroom issues in my life. Pooped once a day, same time.

I know you can't diagnose me but does my situation seem similar to anyone's? Can you have both? Could it just be caused by the c. diff? I am confused.

Scipio

I am confused... Can you have cobblestoning and ulcerations? I thought that is how you could tell UC and crohns apart. .
Yes, you can have both cobblestoning and ulcers. In fact, cobblestoning is a form of ulceration - very deep ulcers. Also, nothing in IBD is ever 100%, but my understanding is that cobblestoning indicates CD (as opposed to UC).

I hope you get some relief soon.