• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotics

Quick question. Andrew's acne on his back and neck is really bad just now. There are some that look badly infected, so I really think he needs some sort of antibiotic to help for a while.
Are there any he shouldn't take while on Mercaptopurine? And also are there any that are less likely to cause any tummy issues? So scared of causing a flare when he is in an important year of school.

I suggest probiotics along with the antibiotics a year ago Jack took antibiotics for an infection and got C-diff this last summer he again took antibiotics (super strong ones to kill off MRSA infection) and he would take a dose of antibiotics 2 hours later a dose of probiotics about 4 times a day just an over the counter brand as most of it would be killed off by the antibiotics but we were hoping to keep enough good stuff going to not cause problems again. When he finished his course of antiobiotics we did 8 day course of VSL3 and we had no problems this time.
Don't know if there are any not to be taken in regards to drug interaction with Mercaptopurine

crohnsinct

Sorry I also don't know about drug interaction but the GI should know. O's GI is loathe to put the kids on any antibiotics unless absolutely necessary...he says he doesn't want to wake the sleeping giant.

then there is always the huge question about doxy and it's connection to IBD.....There is an old thread about here somewhere.

I think everyone is different and the question is more which abx is best for the situation. When DS had to get stitches in his finger, he was put on a topical abx specific to preventing a skin infection.

Have you seen the dr yet? Do they prescribe anything?

I am waiting for a dermatology referral. The IBD nurse will email pics to the GI to see if he has a paediatric dermatologist he can refer to. We have tried 4 different creams so far. Getting desperate and trying baking soda and coconut oil!

When C was experiencing cystic acne on his neck and back the derm had him wash with a mixture of phisoderm and cornmeal. The mixture was consistency was to be a bit gritty and not to white glue consistency.

It worked really well and with a few weeks the acne was gone. I believe his was residual from pred use and age combined. It also cleared up the acne on his face. We were trying to avoid antibiotics since the GI felt C was so early on in treatment at the time. All of the antibiotics the derm offered were bad for CD anyway. I think a derm familiar with CD would have served us better in that respect.

Maybe it is just another product there? It shouldn't be something hard-pressed to get. In fact, there are other products you can use. The names fail me at the moment but when I think of them I will post.

Ahhh yes that it is, in fact I just dug it up and that was what we used instead of phisoderm! Thanks mehita!

Any better or worse? Now Grace has had real bad eczema and her Dermatologist gives her some heavy duty type creams. I would think their would be a cream to help.
Grace even had 2 bouts of Cellulitis and it was a cream not an oral antibiotic that help.
However, Grace has never had this.

I think the redness has eased slightly. Been using coconut oil and baking soda. The paediatrician got me to take a swab once a spot burst so we can tailor the antibiotic to the right bug/bacteria. So terrified of irritating his tummy still. :(

DustyKat

Super Moderator
There is one antibiotic that I am aware of that is contraindicated with Azathioprine/6MP use: Trimethoprim, but this is not a drug that would be used for acne.

As cic has already said there has been discussion/legal action taken around the use of Doxycycline and the development of Crohn’s. The other drug, not an antibiotic but is also surrounded by controversy, which has been widely used for severe acne and seems to have a stronger tie to the development of IBD is Accutane.

I can well understand your concern, as we no doubt all can. :ghug:

We have not faced the same situation Sascot but antibiotics have been used for both of my children for other reasons. Sarah has had a couple of UTI’s (Urinary Tract Infections) in the past year or so with no adverse Crohn’s reactions due to antibiotic use. Matt pre surgery was on Augmentin Duo Forte for about 3 months due to an intra-abdominal abscess. He wasn't in remission at that point but the antibiotics didn’t worsen his condition Crohn’s wise or introduce any new problems. He was also on Flagyl for 6 months, although a Crohn’s targeted antibiotic he nonetheless had no issue with its use either.

I hope you are able to find something that works well for your lad and if it is an antibiotic that he suffers no ill effect from it. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Thanks Dusty, it is good to hear that your kids have managed to take antibiotics without flaring their Crohns. Thinking back Andrew did take some antibiotics when he had his abscess and his tummy was okay. I guess it's just like a niggling terror in my head.

A couple of the creams the GI gave is were antibiotic. One in particular ended in mycin and said on the tube do not use if you have ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. Luckily, I checked the tube before we used.

On the other hand I think the doc put Chase on bactrim or another antibiotic when he had some infected burn spots. And he did fine. I was scared too since C's first flare came after using doxycycline for acne px'ed by the GP.