• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotics

my little penguin

Staff member
Any and all abx can make crohns flare
Probiotics can sometimes help with this
My kiddo takes visobiome daily even when not on abx to keep his gut balanced per his Gi

Any and all abx can make crohns flare
Probiotics can sometimes help with this
My kiddo takes visobiome daily even when not on abx to keep his gut balanced per his Gi
Ok, I’m on antibiotics right now for a week, there is no way I can’t take them, it’s for something serious. So I will have to be careful.

kiny

While oral antibiotics can actually cause remissions, data also shows that antibiotics can disturb the microbial ecosystem to such an extent that pathogenic bacteria can gain the upper hand in crohn's disease patients. This happens during the "post-antibiotic" period, especially if broad-spectrum antibiotics where used.

In theory, people with crohn's disease should be offered intravenous antibiotics or topical applications for secondary infections, instead of oral antibiotics. Of course this is not always possible, especially not with the pandemic which complicates things.

While oral antibiotics can actually cause remissions, data also shows that antibiotics can disturb the microbial ecosystem to such an extent that pathogenic bacteria can gain the upper hand in crohn's disease patients. This happens during the "post-antibiotic" period, especially if broad-spectrum antibiotics where used.

In theory, people with crohn's disease should be offered intravenous antibiotics or topical applications for secondary infections, instead of oral antibiotics. Of course this is not always possible, especially not with the pandemic which complicates things.
Ya, I agree. That wouldn’t be possible for me right now.
I have read about probiotics, how do I know which ones are good and where to get them?

kiny

Studies about probiotics are not that promising for crohn's disease. In theory, one would want a bacteria that can adhere to the epithelial cell walls in the small intestine. The best science has come up with are lactobacillus, which do exactly that. Are they actually effective in mitigating the effects of broad spectrum antibiotics, I have no idea.

my little penguin

Staff member
Can abx cause a flare or will they cause a flare are two different things .
Ds has been on abx more than a few times over the past 10 years
No flare
But others have used abx and had a flare
He does take all abx as prescribed because infections need to be taken care of and hope for the best
Your GI can tell you which probiotics are best for you
Ds has found if he takes the abx as directed and then takes the probiotics in the evening two hours after the last abx dose for the day
Then he is ok
No diarrhea
Does the prop optics keep him from having a flare no idea
Prevent diarrhea maybe
Since he is on it anyways from his Gi
Per pharmacist doesn’t hurt

As far as studies
Ds doesn’t fit into any study box
Even his Gi won’t put him in any studies stated Ds would through the numbers way off and confuse doctors
So we read studies but ultimately go with what works for him per his team of docs