• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anxiety and dissociation!!

My last thread was about these weird symptoms I'd been having where I felt really disconnected and out of it all the time. Sometimes it felt like I was watching myself in a movie or something really weird like that.

I'm only 15 and I've had crohns for almost 2 years now. It's had a huge effect on my life especially with growth and limitations. My doctor thinks I have anxiety and am developing a dissociating kind of issue she calls de-realization.

Has anyone else heard if this or had to deal with it? How do I fix it because apparently medication is not a great option.

Hi Alec. My crohn's diagnosis is still pretty new, but I already can definitely relate to experiencing crohn's as an illness with a lot of emotions and stress attached to it, along with physical symptoms. Dissociation is a way to cope with stress, to sort of step back from the stressors in your life, and feel almost like they are happening to someone else. While it sounds like it must feel scary, I think it also makes a lot of sense.

I'm certainly not an expert (just someone with a bachelor's in psych and personal experience with anxiety and depression), but I would encourage you to consider seeing a therapist who practices Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), in addition to your medical doctor. A therapist can help you figure out strategies to manage your anxiety, and help you feel more comfortable in your own skin. Did your doctor talk about that option? She may be able to refer you to someone.

I am also new to this but am quickly resizing this is a very mental situation. I too believe this is a self preservation experience and you should find a doctor to help you through.