• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anxiety/depression - Any advice on taking Lexapro when you have Crohn's?

My son who is 18 was just prescribed Lexapro for anxiety/depression. He is very worried, as am I, about the many side effects. Has anyone had any experience taking this medication? If so, are you taking the generic form or the brand name? Aside from the psych effects I'm worried that it will make him nauseous and not want to eat since he is already so underweight. His CD is in fairly good control on Remicade. Any thoughts would be so appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry this is a hard time for you. I'd probably check the drug out thoroughly on rxlist and maybe PubMed, and then plan a strategy for maybe coming up with an alternative. The book "Grain Brain" is very good, written by a Neurologist who just happens to have an excellent grounding in Nutrition also. He talks a lot about the connection between the gut and the brain, and gives recommendations for how to improve anxiety and depression in people with gut issues. He also practices in Florida if you're up for a trip, or you can just take the advice on the wing.

Lots of other doctors who have spoken out about current practices have pointed out that we're sometimes overmedicating children and young adults. Several of them have given strategies for generally keeping inflammation in the body low with fish oil and sometimes aspirin (aspirin has a unique effect on inflammatory enzymes). Another such doctor is the author of "The Anti-Inflammation Zone" Barry Sears. Though his book is not anti-grains, nor does it have a neurology perspective, it does generally talk about inflammation and how it causes harm on several fronts.

I believe I was on Lexapro when I was 17 (I don't fully remember I was on so many meds). What I do remember was I had lots of weird bad dreams and felt emotionally numb. It shouldn't interfere with his CD meds though. Consult a doctor.

Thanks Too Many Bum Steers and CrohnsGirl. I would love for him to do a grain free diet (he is currently GF) or the SCD diet, but he feels he will not be able to do it once he goes off to college in the fall and it's also difficult eating out with friends and maintaining his weight. I have upped his fish oil supplements as well as his turmeric sup. That is so interesting about the aspirin since it is and NSAID!!I will definitely look into that and the Sears book! I would like for him to not take the psych drug either especially because he seems really ok at times, but then at others he gets so gloomy. He said that if he starts feeling really weird that he will not take them so thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Too Many Bum Steers and CrohnsGirl. I would love for him to do a grain free diet (he is currently GF) or the SCD diet, but he feels he will not be able to do it once he goes off to college in the fall and it's also difficult eating out with friends and maintaining his weight. I have upped his fish oil supplements as well as his turmeric sup. That is so interesting about the aspirin since it is and NSAID!!I will definitely look into that and the Sears book! I would like for him to not take the psych drug either especially because he seems really ok at times, but then at others he gets so gloomy. He said that if he starts feeling really weird that he will not take them so thanks for the heads up.
I hope it works out!! :) Grain free isn't that hard... he can be cool and modern and claim he's "Paleo"

Since you mention the brain and drugs and things that affect the mind... there' s an awesome book I'm in the middle of reading called "Spark" that talks all about the effect of exercise on brain neurochemicals. I am beginning to think that neurologists are going to save the world! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113514

WOW, that would be an amazing book for him to read!! We'we talked about exercise, and he actually went jogging a bit this weekend, but there is nothing like some scientific studies to motivate. What a great alternative. Thanks TMBS I am actually going to order it now!