• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anxiety with Budesonide

Hello, I'm Tim. I'm new here!

In mid-May I was diagnosed with ileo-colonic Crohn's disease with mild to moderate inflammation. I was immediately prescribed 500mg of Salazopyrin, and I was instructed to take four tablets twice a day. Side note, I suffer with a Generalised Anxiety Disorder and a stammer. I was prescribed 10mg of Escitalopram of which I begun to take in early April, this was increased to 20mg during the initial start of May because I felt more anxious. It was really helping ease the anxiety and making me feel a lot less anxious in social situations, which was great and I started to really feel like my old self. The 20mg seemed to be working well, because I felt a lot less anxious so therefore my stammer was massively reduced. After my colonoscopy in mid-May where I was diagnosed with Crohns the hospital were quick to understandably put me on steroids in hope to reduce the inflammation of the colon. I had already made them aware of my mental health to which I was told the steroids would not affect. However, not long after I started to feel on edge, I begun to question myself because I was told by the hospital I wouldn't feel these feelings of anxiety I became self-conscious, I felt jittery and I was beginning to avoid people and situations. I called my Doctor, I was advised to come off them because they were affecting my mental health so badly. In a week or so I started to feel better again. I then attended a appointment at the hospital, where I was clear I mustn't have medication which will bring on anxiety. I was put on Budesonide because it has little side affects. I gave it 2 weeks, the anxiety started again. This time I felt so on edge that I had to come home from work, because it was too much to bare. I have been signed off for 2 weeks. I am weening myself off the Budesonide but that is going to take 2 weeks, I am supposed to go back to at the end of this week. I am still taking my Escitalopgram but it feels like its not even working at the moment which I gather is because steroids decrease your serotonin levels is it, which the anti-depressants are aim to increase. I feel so lethargic. I have a follow up appointment on the 9th of July where they want to review and discuss starting me on Azathioprine. Has anybody else been through a similar situation? Will the anti-depressants start working again once I come off the steroids? Has this interrupted my anti-depressant cycle? Is there another drug I can take in the meantime? What is Azathioprine like? I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow. I am my wits ends, I felt like I was making progress with anxiety before this Crohns diagonis and dose and dose of steroids. Can anybody offer some reassurance please?

All your support would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim

cmack

Staff member
Welcome,

I'm not sure of the answers. You have my support though, these diseases are rough. All I can really tell you is that things will get better when you find the right treatment plan. Hang in there.

I know that many people experience this with this medication. I have honestly seen my brother struggle with it himself. He has had Crohn's since he was 15 and he has tried a lot of different medications throughout the years, especially since his doctors wanted to postpone the colostomy procedure as much as possible.
He has been on budesonide for a few months but it made him anxious and also messed up his hormones and he gained a lot of weight (and well know what self-image issues a 15 years old kid going on 16 might have). We talked with his primary and asked for alternatives. As usual there were none and that was when in one of the support groups people told us about kratom. It is not conventional that is for sure but they said that it helped with the anxiety if you do it my small doses and with the right type of leaf. We were kind of skeptical but we decided to try, but first we needed to understand what is kratom and what are it's benefits. After some research we ordered a batch or red vein kratom and my brother started taking it. It did help with his anxiety and it even reduced some of the inflammation on his bowl so that the doctors were able to lower his steroid dose which as a result allowed him to lose some of the weight. So yeah it worked for us but it is very hit and miss overall

Last edited: