• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anxiety with injection

It takes me a very long time to administer my injection. Something between my mind and my finger to start the injection just does not communicate well.

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

What about it makes you anxious? Anticipation of pain? Can you ice the area beforehand to numb it? Maybe you can do breathing exercises before and during injection.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I think just administering the injection and the pain. Thanks for replying. I have read these posts as an outsider for a long time and just finally joined in December. There certainly is a lot of good information and views on here. Thanks again.

I can't handle the automatic pen. Too little lack of control. After 2 or 3 times not holding the pen long enough and ripping it off my leg, I had them switch me to the syringe. Even though you have to see it go in and see the needle, it is much easier if I can control the speed. If it hurts too much, I can hold before I push the meds in further.

I developed terrible anxiety to those syringes, to the point that I would get very sweaty and shaky before self-administering the shot. They hurt like hell, so that could be the reason why I had such an aversion - plus, they weren't doing anything for me, so without any benefits, I just began to hate them.

For pain, have you considered using a numbing cream (like something they use for tattoos)? I had purchased some, but never had a chance to try it before I discontinued using Humira. Apparently, it works wonders for children who need injections.

I have mentioned this before, but to help with the sting, I would slap my leg very very hard (a slap that creates more of a pop). Then inject before your body stops responding to the slap.

theOcean

I get anxious about giving myself my injections (I use the pen as well), so I always make someone sit with me and count down for me. It actually helps, because I feel like when they say go, I have to -- and then they're also there to support me if it hurts, and to assure me it'll be okay.

Also: where are you injecting yourself? Maybe I can give tips on a less painful area?

I get anxious as well, so you aren't alone in that for sure. I try to stick to a routine at injection time so it's almost automatic and I don't sit there overthinking it.

Thanks everyone. I inject in my stomach. For the loading dose I did legs and stomach and my legs hurt very bad. Good idea about having someone with you, of course my husband has offered to do it for me, but he tries to joke about it and acts like a mad scientist!! So I will not allow him to help!!! I may try to find a numbing solution or I may switch to the syringes just to see. Thanks everyone for your response.

theOcean

Oh dear! My loading doses were awful -- I had to do four at once, one in each leg and one on either side of my bellybutton. Some tips: I leave my pen out of the fridge for at least half an hour to get the medication to more room temperature, since I find it hurts more when it's cold. I also find it's definitely the medication that hurts rather than the needle -- I tried a syringe once and it was really bad for me because it was even slower than the pen.

The area that I usually do is the top of my thighs. I did the sides of them for awhile, because I figured that the fat naturally moved there anyway when I sat, but, I find I get much less pain when I do the tops of them instead.

I hope you find methods that work for you!

JJB,

At first I would agonize about the injections (pen) because I was so worried about a reaction or catching an infection of some sort.

As time has past (4 years) I now let the pen come to room temp and do it. Boom - Done.

I do not want to sound harsh as I know everyone has a different pain tolerance and view of taking the shots, BUT....just do it. Get it over and done. Yeah it stings/hurts but it passes fast.

Good Luck