• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anxious about medication

Hello all, I'll keep this brief, just hoping someone might be able to set my mind at ease!

Basically I ended up in hospital recently, had diarrhoea for 6 weeks and had very bad joint pain primarily in my knees and elbows. They've done a biopsy and, although I'm still awaiting results, they think it's certain to be Crohn's disease.

Whilst in hospital I was on injection steroids and within a day the joint pain subsided. When they discharged me I've been put on prednisolone and mesalazine. I've been out for 5 days now and I've noticed the joint pain returning, on top of that I've still got the diarrhoea and basically I feel like I'm not getting any better!

Couple of queries, does it normally take a while for the medicines to start working? I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient or if the lack of progress suggests I should be going straight back to the doctors. Also, I've been googling (I know, not always advisable!) and everything I've seen suggests that mesalazine is good for treating UC but is of little to no benefit if you've got Crohn's disease. Does anyone with Crohn's have a good experience of mesalazine or should I be asking why they've got me on it and asking if there are alternatives? Really don't want to end up back in the hospital but since leaving, going to oral steroids and mesalazine I just feel that all the problems are coming back and I'm a bit anxious!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I am on Lialda which i understand is another form of mesalazine and i have Crohn"s disease. I have been fine with this medication. I am not sure how long it takes to work. You said you noticed the joint pain returning. Maybe you need to see a rheumatologist.

my little penguin

Staff member
5-asa's are Recommended as a mono therapy for Crohns
Most equate it to be as effective as giving aspirin for a brain tumor not going to hurt but not going to help much either
That said your GI may change meds once you have a dx of Crohns typically that is immunosuppressants and or biologics

So while your waiting for a dxtheg have started you on mild meds

I would talk to your GI
Remember GI issues take weeks to months to heal not days
Most meds take 6-12 weeks to work

Good luck

Lady Organic

Staff member
hello and welcome.
what dosage of prednisolone are you on per day?
Prednisone usually works quickly. could be just a matter of few more days of wait for an improuvement.
When is your fallow up appointment with a GI?

hello and welcome.
what dosage of prednisolone are you on per day?
Prednisone usually works quickly. could be just a matter of few more days of wait for an improuvement.
When is your fallow up appointment with a GI?
Hi, thanks for the replies and the welcome! I'm currently taking 8 x 5mg tablets of prednisolene daily but from tomorrow that drops to 7 tablets. I'm a bit anxious about lowering the dosage because I'm sure it's that which is helping me rather than the mesalazine! Haven't been given a follow up date yet although I was told in hospital that after about 6 weeks is go to an IBD clinic to discuss how the medication is working

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi, thanks for the replies and the welcome! I'm currently taking 8 x 5mg tablets of prednisolene daily but from tomorrow that drops to 7 tablets. I'm a bit anxious about lowering the dosage because I'm sure it's that which is helping me rather than the mesalazine! Haven't been given a follow up date yet although I was told in hospital that after about 6 weeks is go to an IBD clinic to discuss how the medication is working
if you do not notice any improuvement from your bowel within this week, i would try to find the appointment for the IBD clinic sooner, maybe you can talk to an IBD nurse from that clinic. Hopefully it will kick in shortly. If bowel troubles escalade, I would contact the clinic right away or return to the emergency.
wishing you well.

Last edited:
if you do not notice any improuvement from your bowel within this week, i would try to find the appointment for the IBD clinic sooner, maybe you can talk to an IBD nurse from that clinic. Hopefully it will kick in shortly. If bowel troubles escalade, I would contact the clinic right away or return to the emergency.
wishing you well.
Thank you. I'm now getting anxious because the last two times I've gone to the toilet there's been a lot of blood in the bowl (well, enough to turn it bright red), hoping it's nothing too serious but just seems like one thing after another at the minute :-( )