• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any avid tea drinkers?

afidz

Super Moderator
My fiance and I started drinking tea, like lose leaf tea of sorts. We've been going teavana, but boy do they take your money.
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in a tea. But since I stopped drinking pop and sugary drinks, I want something other than water. So I'm looking for someone to educate me. I don't want to type out a whole thing if there isn't an active tea driving member. I'll post more questions later

scottsma

Well being English tea is an important way of life here.I have about six cups a day,plus a couple of coffees.My Hubby though drinks at least twelve cups,plus coffee.
I don't know what you want to know,but feel free to ask.I do occasionally drink herbal and green tea,but much prefer china/Indian tea,with milk and sugar.

I drink loads of tea but use decaffeinated when I can, as normal tea causes me diarrhoea. As does milk, so I use oatmilk wherever possible. I remember life before teabags, all that mess and blocked sinks, and wouldn't dream of going back to the old-fashioned ways. However, I know leaf tea is trendy at the moment. Overpriced retro-style tearooms are popping up everywhere in this country, mostly catering to a younger crowd who love the teapots and mismatched china. Sorry I can't give you any useful information but good luck in your enquiries!

I found coffee to be just about the worst thing I could drink in conjunction with my crohns, so I switched to black tea in the mornings and a combination of herbals, rooibos (redbush tea) and spice blends...you can really get alot of taste variety going to keep things interesting

afidz

Super Moderator
I wouldn't know if drinking lose tea is trendy or not... We don't have very many friends and don't typically follow what's popular. We like it because we can mix things up and choose the strength and flavor.

Is there a tea or ingredient you guys like in your tea that helps south your stomach or help with achy joints? What about things for skin? Or sleep?

fuzzy butterfly

Afidz. I believe that peppermint tea is soothing for your tummy and can help with wind, bloating and indigestion. Chamomile is suppossed to help calm you if stressed.. I let you more when i can remember the others i know about.my memory is not always good im afraid :). Best wishes ...

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Also they can help you sleep. Green tea is good all round full of antioxidents. Also chamomile helps the side effects of diabetes too. ..

my little penguin

Staff member
DS drinks herbal. Non caffeinated tea
Typically twinnings honeybush and Orange
He loves it with honey as a sweetner
Reminds him of orange pop

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter likes honey vanilla chamomile tea before bed - also Twinnings. She doesn't like regular chamomile because she says it tastes "like perfume" but she likes the one with honey vanilla. Peppermint tea (Twinnings) is also supposed to be good for you.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I love tea! :D

Mint and Chamomile are a couple of my favorites especially any tea blends that use them in their blends. Bigelow brand Sweet Dreams Herbal Tea is my favorite ever since I was first diagnosed with Crohn's (been drinking it since I was 9). It contains Chamomile, Hibiscus, Peppermint Leaves, Rose Blossoms, Spearmint Leaves, Spice, and Orange Blossoms. Sometimes I add honey but lately I've just thrown a bag into a cup of room temp water and let it steep slowly and add a bit more water whenever the water gets low (some tea bags don't work well with cooler water and require hot water to steep properly but this brand has pretty decent tea bags). If I want it stronger then I use hot water but it's been hot here lately so a weak tea can be refreshing to me.

Cinnamon is supposed to have a lot of health benefits including helping inflammation, type 2 diabetes and lowering cholesterol etc (supposedly, I wouldn't substitute any medications for tea though). It tastes alright.

Ginger tea helps soothe nausea and tastes pretty good. It's spicy but good with a little honey.

Green tea is supposed to help with weight loss. I haven't found a brand that I really like yet.

I love Jasmine tea but the health benefits are only as good as the tea that was used to make it (green tea, white tea, oolong and black tea). The scent of Jasmine though is supposed to be calming and helps to lower your heart rate.

Chamomile and green tea or any teas with antioxidants are supposed to be good for your skin and inflammation.

Mayo Clinic shares this recipe that sounds pretty good: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ced-tea-with-cinnamon-and-ginger/rcp-20049643

I too love tea but only when it's very weak, and never with milk. Strong black tea makes me sick, acid reflux to the point of nausea within about 2 sips.

My fave's are peppermint because of the stomach calming effect, anything with lemon, mango that sort of thing. I try not to use sweeteners but sometimes use a little bit of honey.
I use both tea bags and loose leaf tea.

Another nice drink with stomach calming properties is aniseed milk. Steep about a tablespoon of whole aniseeds (in a tea bag) in hot (almond or rice) milk for a few minutes, add some sugar and it's done. Very effective, I had this as my first "food" after my resection and it was wonderful.

When I was ill I gave up normal tea and drunk peppermint, which did seem better, though as it's hot it can still potentially upset your stomach. I still sometimes drink it the evenings as it's caffeine free. I tried ginger a couple of times, but that kept me up all night so never again. I also had some fennel tea which didn't taste that nice but is meant to be good for digestion.

I usually get through 2 or 3 cups a day, which is quite restrained for this country.

Talk of tea leaves reminds me of visiting my grandparents. Tea with UHT milk and bits of leaves floating at the bottom of the cup. Yuck.

Tea blocks absorption of iron - something the likes of us should probably bear in mind.

fuzzy butterfly

Ah thanks for that D i did not know that. Not that i drink loads but i am on iron tablets so maybe i should drink even less !!.

Ah thanks for that D i did not know that. Not that i drink loads but i am on iron tablets so maybe i should drink even less !!.
The leaflet with the iron tablets I had said something like not to drink tea two hours before or two hours after taking them. Which made it quite difficult to fit three tablets a day around the tea schedule. Eggs and milk are a problem too, whereas vitamin C helps you absorb iron.

So if you're washing down your iron tablets with a cuppa they might not be working as well as they should.

I hate strong tea, or any tea with milk.
I drink earl grey, I love the smell of the bergamot when I open a new packet, it's a bit lemony. I recently tried lady grey but don't like the orange flavour it has.
I also drink peppermint tea, purely because I like it. It's refreshing and leaves your mouth feeling nice and clean.
My favourite is lemongrass and ginger, which I started drinking to help combat the nausea when I was on Aza. Has to be Taylor's though, Twinnings isn't tasty enough.
For all these teas, I leave the bag in the cup/mug as I think they all need at least ten minutes to fully develope the flavour.
Bunty x

I drink nettle tea, made from stinging nettles, I buy it from the health shop although you can make your own. I like the fact it comes in tea bags and is easy to use. Google it, it has many health benefits. It helped my joint pain.

fuzzy butterfly

I drink nettle tea, made from stinging nettles, I buy it from the health shop although you can make your own. I like the fact it comes in tea bags and is easy to use. Google it, it has many health benefits. It helped my joint pain.
Hi trev hope your doing ok pal ☺ ah i could do with help on the joint pain. I might give that a go cheers ..

fuzzy butterfly

The leaflet with the iron tablets I had said something like not to drink tea two hours before or two hours after taking them. Which made it quite difficult to fit three tablets a day around the tea schedule. Eggs and milk are a problem too, whereas vitamin C helps you absorb iron.

So if you're washing down your iron tablets with a cuppa they might not be working as well as they should.
Cheers D i do take vit c supplememts so that may help with the iron one. I will check my leaflet too n see what it says. thanks for info ..

Ooo I love my teas I do! I drink any black tea with coconut milk since dairy does me no good. However I can't drink too many black teas or else my crohns area really starts to ache unfortunately, otherwise I could drink it all day everyday.

Teapigs popcorn green tea is delicious! I'm addicted. It kind of tastes a bit like sugar puffs or something....but I find it gives me a bit of a boost throughout the day without cramping me up or sending me to the toilet! I find that's the case with all green teas, but popcorn is my favourite...

Teapigs (again, I'm a bit of a fan) peppermint tea is the best mint tea I have ever tasted, the taste is really fresh and I find it's a bit more intense than other mint teas, plus you can re-use the bag a few times.

Chamomile is another great tea, I love one at the end of the day before bedtime- eases cramping, settles me down and just has a nice calming effect on my body.

Then, my absolute favourite is a tea that was brought as a gift for me from a tea shop called Atkinsons in Lancaster, and that's pur-eh wellness guarana. My sisters fiancée went into the shop and asked what was a good tea for crohns and they recommended that one, and they were right, it's perfect for my crohns! It's loose leaf and I drink it every morning, it's not harsh on my system but gives me a kick start when I wake up, plus I love the taste!

I've also just ordered a batch of tetley tropical immune green teas, perhaps they will help kick the colds I keep catching!

Just in case you're interested, this is the little description that goes with the pur eh wellness guarana 😋

Origin: China

Pu-Erh is a time-honoured oddity of the tea world. An aged, semi-fermented Red Tea, buried underground or in caves for six months or more & often changing hands for vast sums, depending on the vintage. Its health giving properties are legendary, as you'd expect of something that's put through such a bizarre process. Its taste is something peculiar too, to most palates. There is definitely a whiff of the medicine cabinet about it! So, not to everyone's taste but made more acceptable & possibly even healthier with the addition of another fabled, energising infusion - Guarana, with its sweeter, hibiscus like flavour. It's a Mythical Doubled-Headed Health Monster of a Drink!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
How have I not seen this post before afidz?!? Haha :)

You KNOW I'm a huge tea fan and I can give you some tips on some good ones if you're still looking ;)

Trysha

Staff member
Make sure to bring the cold water to a rolling boil....warm the teapot....use one teaspoon of loose tea per person.
Allow to steep for five minutes then pour into a china cup, i prefer bone china,
If using milk put it in the cup before pouring the tea.
Pour the tea into the cup first if using lemon slice..
Its best without sugar but if you must it can be added any time.
Earl Grey tea is made the same way...usually no milk added.
Camomile tea bags ...teabag into cup or teapot..pour boiling water into cup and.allow to
steep for a few minutes.....helps to 😴 💤 sleep.
China teabags such as lapsang suchong or oulong etc. steep in boiling water....few minutes add lemon slice if you like it,i usually drink as is.
I once went on a tour of Lyons Tea Factory in England which was very educational.
We learned that the tea was blended in different ways for the different types of water found in the UK...there were at least twelve different tea blends to suit
the different waters .

curlywurly

Hi all
My husband has just come across tea for cold water infusion Twinnings they do quite a variety and the best bit is you don't have to boil the water first. He has a water bottle with a spout he puts a teabag in the bottle fills it with cold water let it brew then drink leave in all day and refill water when needed, he says it is really good I have not tried as yet but I will.

annawato

Staff member
Tea is my favourite drink. Ive cut down on he number of cups and now have 4 a day. Plus I sip from my water bottle all day long to keep hydration.
My favourite tea is Yorkshire. I'm from Australia and English relatives call it builders tea. Strong with skim milk. Perfect.
I've just introduced my husband of 30 years to tea and he now loves it, particularly the social contact of having a cuppa together.

I love tea. A month ago I was told I had Crohn's, so I haven't drunk anything but peppermint, chamomile, or sleepy time mix while I try to figure out what's going on. But I'd love to drink my caffeinated teas again! Like green teas and I love black teas like Earl Grey.

I recently bought some Lavender Earl Grey tea that is so good.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
How have I not seen this post before afidz?!? Haha :)

You KNOW I'm a huge tea fan and I can give you some tips on some good ones if you're still looking ;)
Same here!!!!! I'm more of a tea fan then coffee. Majority of what I like are the herbal teas. But, I also like the chai type too, they have to be caffeine free or sometimes decaf depending on how decaf it is. And, lactaid milk with a little sugar to help.

I’m from the uk and drink litres of milky tea a day alongside water. To be honest I avoid nothing food/drink wise. I just do as I’m told by the docs

cmack

Staff member
I make ginger root tea at home with a slice of ginger the size of a silver dollar added to a cup of boiling water. I let it steep for 5 minutes and leave the slice in as it tends to sink. It really soothes my stomach. :)