• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any body hear of this??

Has anyone heard of or had an experience such as this:

(I am fast forwarding much of this info for the sake of brevity and to get to the point)
Having had diarrhea for a week, I noticed a very small amount of blood in my stool. I was put into the hospital for what was supposed to the weekend. Seven months later, I was finally released from hospital, absent my large intestine and at a weight of 125 pounds vs 195 when I entered. In a 3-4 week period I had gone from those few spots of blood to passing (with absolutely no exaggeration) to passing pure blood. Within 5 weeks of admission to the hospital I was experiencing Toxic Megacolon and having surgery to just save my ilfe. The entire large intestine was a bloody mass that had to be removed. No area was not bleeding profusely.

i am trying to find out if anybody has experienced or heard of such an experience. In all of my research, I cannot find such a sudden and catastophic episode. I guess I should mention that I was in the infantry in I Corp in Vietnam in 1968. I wasn't going to muddy the waters originally by mentioning that but then I thought there might possibly be another grunt out there with the same problem. I really hope nobody had that happen but .."misery loves company" may apply here.

Scipio

Wow, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It hasn't happened to me, but acute toxic megacolon is a real thing. More common in UC than in Crohn's. It can also occur after some infections such as C.diff.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it

When this all happened to me I was just 25 years old, never had a sick day in my life, in perfect health and physical condition. I had never been treated for UC, Crohn's or any other disease. I had zero health issues.

I can't find any other victim or MD who has ever heard of such a quick onset of going form zero to "we are removing your large intestine" in less than 4-5 week.

Since then I have had many health issues related to autoimmune diseases. The VA does not recognize any of them as service related since they all materialized after their cutoff time of 1 year. I am still just very curious to find out just how rare this is. I will check to see if there is a UC site to look into this. Thanks again.