• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any experience on carrying Humira on flights

Hi all,

I need to carry Humira during my international travel, humira sent me a kit to use it for travel but that kit only with hold coolness upto 8 hours but my journey is overall 36 hours. Humira is recommending me to ask the cabin crew to keep the medication in the fridge once I onboard the flight. Does anyone have experiences to share on this because I am just thinking what if they say no to use refrigerator. I will loose all my medication. I am planning to stay for 4 to 5 weeks outside. Thanks in advance

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you called the airline ?
That would be the first step
They can tell you what and what isn’t permitted in terms of refrigeration/storage
If battery powered coolers are permitted or just cabin refrigerator
Definitely call the airline
Or there are specific shippers who might ship medical overseas ?

Maya142

Staff member
Hmm, we've done a 15 hour flight with Humira - that means probably at least 21 hours for the whole trip (from door to door). We froze the ice packs they send with Humira and kept them in an insulated bag (similar to what they send with Humira) and they have always been cold by the time we get to our final destination. We have done this many times with various biologics.

36 hours is tricky though. I would ask the flight about the fridge or consider a battery powered cooler if it would be allowed onboard. There are ice packs that you pop and they become cold instantly, but they don't stay cold very long, so unless you can find a way to get (proper) new ice packs wherever you have a layover (I'm assuming you have one because of the length of the trip), I'm not sure you can switch out the ice. The ice packs also have to be completely frozen (frozen solid) to get through security, since liquids over 3 oz are not permitted.

Lynda Lynda

My niece uses Humira. She travels to Japan once a year, which I think is 13 hours one-way. Then add time going from her home to airport and time from airport to destination when she arrives in Japan. She's never had any issues with traveling with her Humira. I never ever heard her talk about handing over a prescription medication to a flight crew, yikes.