• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any foods I should avoid?

Hi all,
I'm so glad I finally found this site. ( I stumbled upon it whilst googling is it safe to take imuran whilst trying for a baby and being pregnant)
i have had crohns for the past 6 years and as I am getting on it gets worse. I got diagnosed when I presented with a peri anal absist twice in 6 months. I was put on messalazzine and predisalone and now I am a whole 50 kgs heavier.
They are now telling me I need to be on 200mgs of imuran and that it is still safe for me to take whilst trying for and being pregnant.
I wanted to know as I have now only just come to terms with my condition, is there any foods I should avoid apart from acidic?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello. Welcome to the forum Crohns is very different for everyone. Some people really can't tolerate veg or fruit, while others have issues with fatty foods or alcohol.

The best way to work out what affects you is to make a food diary. Write down all your meals, drinks and the symptoms you experience. Rate any pain 1-10 with 10 being the worst. You can then see any links between the food you eat and the serverity of your symptoms. This will allow you to eliminate problem foods.

You can also check out the diet section for ideas and tips from others.

If you have problems with fruit or raw veg, try juicing them, this helps you digest them as it breaks down the fibres.
Also, get your vitamin levels checked to make sure you aren't deficient in anything.

Hi and welcome! Everyone tolerates foods differently, but I find that spicy foods, tomatoes (when cooked), popcorn, nuts, fried foods are some of my triggers. Good luck on figuring out what will work for you. Hopefully it's not too much and you can still enjoy the foods you like!

It's true that everyone tolerates their own special mix of things. I've also found that I can tolerate some foods at some times, and not at others. So if you find that a particular food causes problems for you, you may want to give it a chance much later on (months or years later) because you may be able to tolerate it again. You have to be willing to experiment. It's worth it, though, to be able to eat more than a minimal selection of foods!