• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any harm in going straight from prednisone to budesonide?

I am having side effects from prednisone and have been on it for about 2.5 months. Now at 10 mg and GI said I could switch to budesonide immediately. Are there any ill effects? I questioned it but they said no. Wouldn't I be getting withdrawal symptoms from going off the prednisone immediately? Thanks!

my little penguin

Staff member
Budesonide is an oral steriod . Prednisone is another oral steriod .solumedrol and dexamethasone are other steriods as well.
Steriods suppress the cortisol produced by your adrenal gland. So switching from one steroid pred to another steriod (budesonide ) still gives your body the cortisol it needs until you wean from steriods allowing your adrenal gland to wake up abd take over production of cortisol again .