• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any Liver Recipes for Us Iron-Deficient Crohnies?

:sign0085: I know there are plenty of excellent cooks out there on this forum-I would love some recipes for liver, and I know plenty others would like them, too!

Of course my family is from Kentucky, so they all say liver needs to be smothered in bacon and onions, but that's not really friendly for my tummy. I need plenty of advice and suggestions on how to prepare it, seasoning, etc.

Thanks Guys, can't wait to see what you come up with!:thumright:

I don't know if I have any good Liver recipes, but I suppose it depends on what kind of liver you're talking about cooking.

When I lived in Japan I always enjoyed the Chicken Liver Yakitori. It's traditionally chicken livers skewerd and glazed with a sweet-soy based sauce (kind of like teriyaki). I don't think I could eat that now though... Not sure about your situation.

If your primary concern, though, is iron I would suggest investing in a nice cast iron pan, or using one you already have. Cooking in cast iron can greatly increase your iron intake, and you can use it for almost anything. Plus, you don't have to be careful when cleaning it out or overheating it like you might a teflon pan.

My relatives are from Kentucky, and fried chicken liver is delicious! I think it's the beef liver that is the best for iron deficiency. Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot, we have an awesome Japanese restaurant close by.

Terriernut

You can always get liver pate in the grocery store. Dont forget spinach is high in iron too. Also, steak! (and of course...red wine, wasnt it YOU who mentioned that to me?)