• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any side effects from Allopurinol / 6-mp combo?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I'm curious to know from those out there that have or are currently using this combination....have you noticed any additional side effects brought on by starting this medication?

I've read a bit about the nausea and skin conditions that may arise from it but I would love to hear from experienced users.

I'm in remission on a low/non-therapeutic dose of 6-mp which is odd but it works so we stick with it. And I don't have any side effects from 6-mp besides possibly hair thinning. To add to that this medication also seems to bring concerning but not alarmingly high risk of liver toxicity.

My GI is considering adding allopurinol into the mix but after almost 1 1/2 years of remission using 6-mp and feeling better than I have in a VERY long time with no crohn's symptoms, I'm just not sure I'm ready to take the jump and add more medication to my treatment plan. Things have been going well and progressively getting better for me. But if my body is having even the slightest bit of problem properly breaking down the 6-mp, do I really have a choice?

I am not very fond of the idea of taking more meds I may not really need and having potentially new side effects mess with a real good thing right now. But I also only have one liver. And there ain't no getting it back once it poops out.