• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any tips for getting through an attack??

Hi,
I'm sorry if I missed this thread and if this isn't the right place to post but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting through a crohn's attack? I'm not currently going through one and they really don't happen that often anymore maybe once every 3 months or so but I usually keep them at bay with a good diet but last night I had fish and I was picking what I had thought to be just burnt bits out but this morning during the attack that made me leave work, I realized they were probably fish bones. They destroyed me. Waves of pain and sweating and so much nausea and like hot daggers slicing there way through me. I'm not looking for sympathy but I've never cried without actually crying I mean like the whole sobbing thing but with this tears were just streaming down my face and I couldn't breath without that hurting. Definitely one of my worse attacks and I've gone to the hospital for them before!! Oh well, it's the life we live. There is a lot worse out there!!!!
My question is, what can I do to get through those attacks? Does anyone have any tricks or tips that help to make it not as long? Not as painful? I know where to rub my stomach in a circular motion but sometimes I can't even move at all or it'll be painful to the touch.
I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks for taking the time to read and post, if you do! Or if you know of threads that have this discussion in it already, you could definitely send me there! Thank you so much for all your help!
We gotta keep our heads up!
:sign0085::sign0085::sign0085::sign0085::sign0085::sign0085:

I am sorry for what you are going through. I am sure there will be someone along. I am preaching to myself but stay well hydrated.

I am so sorry you had tomgo throuh this :(
Actually, the only way I know is preventative, i.e. watch what you eat. Eat mostly low residue, mushy foods.
Hard to digest foods tend to stuck at the stricture you have those, thus
causing the severe pain you are talking about.

Hope you feel already better and also find a way to manipulate your diet.

Are you keeping a diet of what is or might be aggravating your gut? You might try the brat diet for now until they can get the right mixture of medicines. (Bananas,rice,applesauce, toast). Let is know how you are.

I always keep a small supply of pain killers at home. Also When I can tell I'm getting flared I start doing miralax to make everything a little softer, then I go to a fairly liquid diet. That seems to help. oh and a lot of green tea. That seems to help immensely. not sure if it's just the warmth soothing my gut or if it really helps. But in my head it does haha.

I will usually back my diet down to a clear liquid diet and slowly move up from there.
Toast, rice that type of thing. For me hot tea helps the most. Black tea contains tanic acid (sp?) and thats a smooth muscle relaxer. Intestines are a smooth muscle, it really helps!!

Good luck!
Lauren