• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any tips for LGBT highschool student?

Does anyone have any LGBT+ tips for high school? Im meant to be starting in september, but since the last time I went I have developed social anxiety, got an ileostomy and come out as a Lesbian. Before I was out kids teased me saying I was gay (too true) but now im super nervous about whats going to happen when I go back.

nogutsnoglory

High school is definitely a tough place and unfortunately people can be judgemental. It's important to remember that people look for things to pick on but try not to internalize it because you are perfect the way you are.

I would say the best thing is to show confidence, if someone bothers you over being a lesbian or having an ostomy brush it off even if it hurts. If you show weakness they will jump on it. Let them feel their opinions are worthless, you take the power away from them and it's not as fun for them to bully.

I had a rough time with bullying but looking back it was the after school clubs that helped me find people like me. Maybe you can join a club you like such as acting, chorus, debate team, orchestra, sports or whatever you like. Many schools have gay - straight alliances which would be a great place to make friends and find a safe space.

This link is U.S. related but the tips for LGBT youth are pretty universal http://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth-resources.htm#friends

Also, know that it gets so much better after highschool because kids grow up and bullies are usually losers who don't get too far in life and won't be as prominent in places that smart kids like you will be in college and career wise. See these videos which are a testament to how it does get better http://www.itgetsbetter.org

Thank you. Its not so much what they will say that im worried, its the fact I hardly have any friends at that school and im going to have a hard time making them now so many things have happened. I dont want to be the one eating lunch alone.

Thank you. Its not so much what they will say that im worried, its the fact I hardly have any friends at that school and im going to have a hard time making them now so many things have happened. I dont want to be the one eating lunch alone.
I too don't know how things work in the UK, but that's why finding some sort of extra activity or club, likes sports or music or whatever, might be a great way to meet some people with common interests.

And don't worry about having a lot of friends, it is quality, not quantity

One friend in a lifetime is much, two are many, three are hardly possible.
- Henry Adams

I have like two friends, in America. I am bad at making friends, and I don't think I will have any in school.

nogutsnoglory

How did you make your two American friends? What connects you? There are so many after school groups and youth groups where you can connect with others who share interest and it is the best place to make supportive friends.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Ki3, is it possible for you to take some or all of your high school classes online? I have a cousin who is autistic, so even though he is very intelligent, he has a lot of social awkwardness too and a very hard time making friends or fitting in to a normal school setting. When he started high school a couple years ago, he and his parents decided that it would be better for him to take online classes, and so far that's worked out really well. He does have to go to school once per week, to take tests and things like that, but the rest of the week he's online.

Other than that, I just have to agree with what NGNG said - high school can be a really rough time for a lot of people, but once its over with, it really can and does get better.

I used to do school online and it was going great, but now its GCSE time if I want to take my options like Dance art and Health and social, I have to take them in a real school unfortunatley.

I met my american friends online, I went to meet them two months ago and it was the best two weeks of my life, I want to go back. I am apaprently going to start counselling again, so maybe they will be able to help me.