• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anybody have negative reactions to probiotics?

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Just trying to get some input. When I started to feel fatigued and bloated I added acidophilus to my daily regimen...before I started taking it I was having 3-4 semi solid stools per day and 3 weeks later I'm having bad cramping and diarrhea 80% of the time.

Anybody else had this same problem? Or is it just my flare up?

I had trouble with primal defense probiotics but not other brands.

Sometimes probiotics just don't agree with a particular person. You could try a different type.

Dan

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
I had about the same thing you describe happen when I tried them. Once I stopped them things calmed down. My wife takes them for some IBS symptoms and they do wonders for her.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I'm going to stop these for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys :)

If things get better, I might just steer away from probiotics till I can talk to my GI doc

@Dukeis, were you just taking acidophilus or were you taking another kind of probiotic? Just curious. I'm just trying to connect the dots with this "flare" i'm having....one day i'll feel great and the next i'll feel crappy. It feels like a flare but it all started after I began taking acidophilus

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
I don't think it was acidophilus. It something my wife seen at the health food store that said it was for IBD. It was a few years ago and I don't have any of it left.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Alright, thanks for the reply. I'm still going to stop taking it for a bit just to see if that had any negative effect on my gut.

It made my gas smell horrid for 2 weeks then it turned into the good ol' 'rrhea :stinks: