• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anybody missing their outer sphincter?

cmack

Staff member
I have had my outer sphincter cut (severed) as a last resort to heal a complex series of fistulas. Does anybody have experience with this? I would love to hear how it has affected you. Personally it has made employment very difficult for me due to cleanup/irritation (walking like a duck if its not spic and span LOL!) issues. Just curious if there are many of you out there going through this as well.

Chris.

Last edited:

cmack

Staff member
Hmmmmmmm............ anybody???? My surgeon led me to believe this was something that is sometimes done. I have yet to talk to anybody in a similar situation, sure would be nice to figure out how to deal with this better and maybe find a job that I could do with half an ass.

Just saw this. I had the same thing done a few years ago, but it was for severe anal fissures in my case. I thought it was a bit more common as well...

I struggle with incontinence and anal leakage daily. It gets very frustrating and is certainly not a confidence booster. But it is what it is, at least I don't get as severe fissures anymore.

cmack

Staff member
Hi Essieluv,

Man what a thing eh? I agree it is what it is. I'm far better off with half an ass than fistulas and fissures and all the surgery that goes with them but I wish I knew what to do about the remaining problems though. I really want to work but its so hard to find a job where I have a proper way to clean up,(in my case a bidet or a hand held shower nozzle)and there are the accidents. I'm sure not the man I used to be. Diaper rash at 36 is hard to take, especially when people look at you and can't see anything wrong. It seems no matter how hard you try to explain it nobody gets it, even the doctors.

You might want to get a peri bottle. I carry one around with me, it's like a little squirt bottle and it helps so much. Do you use any barrier creams? My favorite one is ConvaTec's Aloe Vesta because it isn't obnoxiously thick like Calmoseptine is.

I know what you mean, it's not fun, eh? But you are a champ, you've got this.

cmack

Staff member
That didn't work, Essie. I'm permanently messed up. No job... not much to be proud of... I'm alive, and happy to be here... Vaseline or other ointments wont fix this problem. Sorry. I'm at peace with my situation and I know where I stand. I just want to support others in the same situation. Yes, I am a champ... Not just any champ... I'm, "THE CHAMP!" :)

Last edited: