• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anybody on Uceris?

So, my last fecal calprotectin numbers are in...

Normal range less than 30.
My score 230.

Well, poopie. Now my GI wants me to start on Uceris and I have no idea anything about it and I'm certainly not excited to begin a steriod based drug in pregnancy...especially since I already look like I swallowed my refrigerator and I've still got 2 1/2 months to go.

Anyone have any experience with Uceris? Side effects? Uceris while pregnant?

Am I putting myself or the baby at severe risk of anything if I hold off until after I give birth to see if I can get back to remission without the Uceris? Docs say I may give birth to a small baby...but given that my last pregnancy was also part of a massive Crohns flare (was undiagnosed at the time but horribly symptomatic) and he was almost 9 lbs, I'm not really that worried about a small baby issue over here).

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It is a category C drug. The benefits may outweigh the risks.

"Category C

Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Example drugs: tramadol, gabapentin, amlodipine, trazodone, prednisone"
http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.html

Yeah, I know categories but wanted to see if anyone on here has experience with it. After discussing it with both the GI and the OB, they both are in favor of me trying it since I am flaring. I'm nervous to attempt a steroid based drug at all since I do not respond well to systemic steroids (has psychosis when I tried Prednisone and don't want that again) but since the Uceris only is absorbed starting in the liver my systemic exposure is limited. The exposure to the fetus is also supposedly limited for this reason, but even so, I don't think my baby need any help growing since I have a history of larger babies (i am small but my husband is a giant). In the end I dunno if my insurance will cover the Uceris anyway since my official diagnosis is Crohns and Uceris is sometimes only qualified as a treatment for UC so I have a couple weeks for them to figure that out before I have any actual medicine in my hands. Thanks for responding!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Uceris is very similar to Entocort as they both contain budesonide. I've taken Entocort before and found that it has fewer side effects than Prednisone by far. I prefer it over Prednisone myself but budesonide is time release so not everyone can take it unless their disease involvement is in the ileum and/or ascending colon.

I've never been pregnant though so I can't help in that department. I did copy your thread into Prednisone/Entocort section to try and get some more replies for you. :)

Hey snickerdoodle....I'm late to the conversation here so it might be useless info, but I had an 8-week course of uceris before I started on humira.

Aside from the financial set back (my insurance only covered a certain percentage so I was paying $150 a month for it), I didn't find uceris to be as effective as prednisone. However there were none of the usual steroid side affects - except for sensitive teeth, which I still have on humira so maybe just a "me" thing.

Its probably the safest one you can be on for pregnancy though so good luck! I know a woman who was on a low dose of prednisone the whole way through her pregnancy with no ill side affects at all.

Not late at all...still working out insurance issues...and now that I know I have a larger baby I'm even less excited to begin steroids even tho I was told it isn't systemic and will only minimally affect growth. At this point my symptoms have stopped as well...I have only 1 or 2 bathroom trips per day instead of the usual 10, so maybe the Uceris isnt really needed. Will find out from GI tomorrow what he thinks. *shrug* Gotta love the complete unpredictability of this disease!

I feel for you, I only just got my life back recently with humira.

Question. Did you have any trouble conceiving? I have had three previous miscarriages because of the crohns. Now that I'm in remission and stable, I'm about to start trying again...

Two factors to consider with my pregnancy...

1) it was a surprise..my next child is already 7years old

2) I only had Crohns in that pregnancy (symptoms started in the middle of the pregnancy) and the current one...I was diagnosed at age 32...so I'm not the best person to ask about conception since I have technically only conceived once while a Crohns patient.

I have also not had any surgeries or fistulas, which may impact conception (I dunno for sure).

So many factors go into a miscarriage versus a full term pregnancy that aren't Crohns related as well. I did have miscarriage myself in my mid 20's...it was a horrible experience and I hope that you are able to have a healthy pregnancy in the right time.