• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else have a problem with smoke?

Hey guys! I passed by some people who were smoking on my way to class and unfortunately I couldn't hold my breath for that long so I had to breathe a lot of it in (4-5 people smoking, yikes!). Anyways, during my class I got really sick; a migrane, my knee started to hurt very badly and my I had pains in the area of my colon and middle left side. Does anyone else get really sick from cigarette smoke or any kind of smoke?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Maybe you're just allergic to smoke in general. You could get tested for a smoke allergy if you want. Symptoms are similar to other allergies like, coughing, sneezing, itchy/watery eyes and even headaches. I'm not so sure about your other symptoms as there's no mention of it such as the colon pain. Perhaps its stress of having to deal with the situation that caused your pain, I dunno.

I'd be willing to say it's more related to the stress of the situation than the actual smoke. I don't think you would've taken more than a few breaths of it in. Could be an allergy to smoke, but the pain in the colon shouldn't be realted to the smoke. I've had friends in college that were allergic to smoke. They would get headaches, itchy/watery eyes, and coughing.

I'd try to take notice if it happens again. If so, I'd mention it to a doctor. Until then, I'd try not to worry about it. It really just sounds like stress from it. Who knows.

Well, I'm also really sensitive to smoke - but my GI advised my entire family to smoke nowhere near me because it 'worsens the Crohn's prognosis'. She's an Indian woman and she kept saying frantically, 'Crohn's does not like cigarette!' So I'm guessing there is a known relationship, and you might be experiencing just that.