• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else have some luck with inulin fiber?

Did inulin fiber improve your Crohn's symptoms?

• I have not tried inulin fiber

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It helped right away and continues to work

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • It helped right away but stopped working

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It took time to start helping but it continues to work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It did not help me

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Hi all,

20+ years with Crohn's and first time posting here. After failed Remicade and Humira treatments, I had a small bowel resection about 10 years ago and was doing well without maintenance medication until about a year ago. I had a peri-rectal abscess in the past which healed pretty much fully but another abscess appeared last summer. I had surgery that confirmed another fistula and had a seton placed and it's been a struggle to get it healed. I notice that the abscesses seem to coincide with periods of frequent strained, watery bowel movements. In the past, I was told to avoid fiber, which I did pretty much always. I didn't specifically eliminate it but I didn't really try to include it in my diet either.

About a month ago, I learned about inulin fiber and prebiotics. I had read that it can absorb water in the gut which is (and probably always will be) an issue for me. I started using a tablespoon (~25 grams) in a cup of black tea in the morning as part of a light breakfast and I've noticed a quick reduction in movement frequency. Instead of 10 times a day, I'm down to about 3 a day, sometimes 1 or two on a good day, which was about the frequency pre-Crohn's when I had a (presumably) healthy gut. The movements are still soft and watery but I feel better about the frequency in maybe giving my gut (and my fistula region) a better chance to heal.

Curious if anyone else has had some relief with inulin fiber and what dose.

Hello and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I am using cholestyramine but would rather use something thats not so expensive and not a pharmaceutical product. Its the only medication I use due to surgery that removed my ilium and the valve located there.

Where do you get your Inulin fiber?

I certainly would like to give it a try.

Best regards.
Dan

DustyKat

Super Moderator
My children use fibre for their bile salt malabsorption. It’s not inulin but psyllium.

This is an old thread about it with loads of info and experiences if you are interested. 😊

They both still use it daily with effect.