• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone experience remicade withdrawl?

Has anyone every tried stopping remicade cold turkey? I know, for most, this isn't even possible. I've been able to take control of my illness through diet. This had been proven in my bloodwork, my changes in bowel habits and movements, and my weight increase. I would like I get off remicade, but it seems the farther I push it out, I just start getting these feelings of malaise, loss of appetite and tiredness.

I have been on remicade for 15 years. One time I was able I get off for around 3 months when I was doing scd diet, but my weight was so low it wasn't feasible.

I am so paranoid about this. I really want to get off because that would really be the final nail in the coffin for me and this illness. I'm not showing any external signs of crohns, so I guess all this could be in my head. I just don't want to push this out only to find out I'm going to feel like shyt for years before I recover, if I ever recover

Has anyone experience remicade withdrawl?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I would not call it withdrawal, rather a return of symptoms when you stretch out the time between infusions. If you start to feel worse the longer you wait between infusions I would say that the Remicade is keeping things at bay and don't mess with it unless there are other factors in play.

I would not call it withdrawal, rather a return of symptoms when you stretch out the time between infusions. If you start to feel worse the longer you wait between infusions I would say that the Remicade is keeping things at bay and don't mess with it unless there are other factors in play.
That's what I'm expecting people to say. I just find it hard to believe that being on this drug for so long, stopping cold turkey would cause 0 side effects.

I've read on some other forums some pretty harsh withdrawl symptoms from stopping.

Mind you, no stomach pain, no diahrea, perfectly formed BM's, good energy when I eat perfect.

Then 4-5 weeks comes along and I just start to get this general malaise. A tiredness and loss or appetite.

Generally you only expect withdrawal when your body is dependant on the drug. As far as I know it has never been found to be a drug that your body gets dependant on. For example many woman will skip an infusion in the last trimester of pregnancy with no ill effects or withdrawal. That said everyone is different.

Generally you only expect withdrawal when your body is dependant on the drug. As far as I know it has never been found to be a drug that your body gets dependant on. For example many woman will skip an infusion in the last trimester of pregnancy with no ill effects or withdrawal. That said everyone is different.
Interesting. Thank you for your input.