• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had more than 2 surgeries?

Hi, I'm 47 and have had crohns now for 27 years and have had 2 surgeries. The last was 8 years ago. I was wondering if anyone had had more than 2 surgeries before as they have both been for a restriction in the intestine, where it joins the colon. Any advice would be helpful about multiple surgeries. Thx

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Jetty!

I suggest that you read through the Surgery section of our forum, which you can find here, and maybe post your question there as well. Would you like to tell us a little more about yourself and your journey with Crohn's here?

I hope things are going well for you!

Hi, I've had six surgeries, though not all of them were for Crohn's (though they were all abdominal). I'm not sure how much I can help, as surgeries vary so I've probably had different ones from you. I had a total collectomy a while ago, and a few months ago had a surgery to create a permanent ileostomy.

What sort of advice are you looking for, and do you have any specific questions?

Having multiple surgeries is not necessarily a bad thing; surgery can be a very effective form of treatment. I am much better since my ileostomy surgery, and have had no long-term complications from having multiple surgeries.

I've personally had four Crohn's surgeries, three of which were abdominal. I've also had another abdo operation for another condition.

I had my last operation five weeks ago and the recovery from this one has been a lot easier than my others.

As UnXmas said, do you have any particular questions relating to this or a specific area you'd like to know more about?

Also 6 in the last 8 years, just skipping by the 7th by good fortune. I will still need a laproscopic, but I don't count those. If that were the case, I've had waaaayyy too many.
You asked for advice, and I can say that you really, really need to keep on the proper nutrition, exercise, and keep looking for way to keep any scar tissue to a minimum. It can attach itself to stuff inside and cause some horrible difficulties that are hard to track down. I have had stitches and staples, setons, drain tubes, etc. I think the worse part is that it is very rare that anyone prepares the patient for going home, and what is really going to be happening. The first few times I was livid. Now I am a pro at it, which is sad.
The other piece of advice would be to not think of surgery as a fix, think of it as saving your life, for the time being. It is putting a patch on a balloon, which won't last forever.
Every day is great because I'm alive and fighting. But that last warning could have been the last warning. It is always serious business to get surgeries, and we need to do everything we can to avoid surgeries.

I have had six surgeries in the past three years from Crohn's. Not everyone with Crohn's has lots of surgeries, though. Hopefully you will be good without another surgery, ever.

I've personally had four Crohn's surgeries, three of which were abdominal. I've also had another abdo operation for another condition.

I had my last operation five weeks ago and the recovery from this one has been a lot easier than my others.

As UnXmas said, do you have any particular questions relating to this or a specific area you'd like to know more about?
Hi how long have had crohns?

I've been diagnosed for 4 1/2 years, and my GO thinks I was misdiagnosed with IBS for 5 years before that. So, 9 1/2 altogether.