• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had rectual removal?

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
anyone had rectual removal?

has anyone had their rectual stump removed? what was it like? how long were you in hospital? how long before you could sit down again?

please be honest

Nyx

I haven't had it, but am thinking about scheduling mine. From what I've researched, it shouldn't be any more invasive than getting the stoma. So, I'm planning on 5 days in hospital, but giving it 3 weeks (just in case of other complications). For me, it's not an option to have it removed, or not...I need my stuff out! My doctor said that the longer it stays in, the greater chance you have of cancer. I don't need Crohn's and cancer too!!

Sorry this hasn't been more helpful Sharon. I know you have other concerns to think about....but if you keep your stump, the chances for cancer increase with every year you keep it. My doctor said that the max I can keep it is 2 years. I wish they had removed everything with my first surgery...but oh well...

Good luck...I hope you get it sorted out soon! It's a tough decision.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
when i had "fred" sited , i was in hospital for 6 and a half weeks. they kinldy gave me MRSA, i dont want such a long stay this time, i cant stand the food that long!!!.

seriously my husband brought in sausage/fish and chips for our bay. the food is horrid. my son called it cat vomit on a plate, and he was 6yrs old at the time.
i hadnt heard about the stump turning cancerous though, no one has mention that. they left the stump in case i "changed my mind" and wanted a reversal. something i cant have now or would want anyway.
having a bottom hole makes me feel human and normal.
if i knew for sure how long recoverer was i think i would be ok. its the not knowing thats annoying me.

Hi Sharon

I've had mine removed for about 10 years now. I had a temporary colostomy for a while (I had UC not crohns) then in one operation I had it changed to a permanent ileo so they removed the rectal stump. My UC affected me all around that area so there was no point keeping it.

I'll be honest I didn't even realise what they'd done until the nurse asked if she could check my stitches, I presumed it was all internal!! It was only when she explained where she meant that I understood. I had dissolvable stitches that healed fine and I had no trouble at all. I imagine if that's all I'd had done it would be more of a big deal but it was nothing compared to the main op.

I do know people with crohns that have had trouble with slow healing if their crohns was very active there but for me it's so much better than still having it.

Lyndsey xx

i thought that this surgery left you with a butt wound that takes time to close in? in order to remove the rectum?

I believe removal, if I'm not mistaken, is an outdated option. Now, we have Remicade and lots of other options that only been on the market for 5-10 years.

yes youre right brian theres a ton of newer treatments that can be tried before resorting to a procto or colectomy. but many of us who have had, need to have, or may need to have such a surgery have already exhausted the less impactive options such as remicade.
remicade is only 5-10 yrs old, and i was on it 10 years ago.
so yes this type of surgery may be a bit outdated, but it is tried and true and is often times the only option left on the table.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i have tried most of the medicenes, its on here somewhere. azaothoprine didnt get absorbed. colifoam, i couldnt get the dosage right as the stuff expands.
pred enemas, made my insides "itch"

so the options now are to put up with the excess bleeding and mucus, or have surgery to take it all away. i say all away but what i have left is only about 12 inches.

They actually sew it up, but you can't see it!

I wouldn't agree it's outdated at all, people are still having the op whether it's during the op for the ileo or at a later date. I was told that people are at a greater risk of developing bowel cancer if it's left in for years after an ileo.

I had a temporary colostomy with some colon and rectum left in. Even after that my UC get so bad again and made me just as ill because the rectum was so affected. The only option was removing it, and the same would be so if it was today.

Lyndsey xx

Last edited:

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
nyx said that about cancer as well, i have never heard of that before. they would have to remove some of my rectum. if they just sewed it up the mucus would have nowhere to go.

Nyx

Well, talked to my doctor today, and I'm scheduling my surgery! She put me on maintenance drugs in the meantime since the stuff that's left inside is really bad. But, once I get it removed, I'll be disease free (till it decides to pop up somewhere else...sigh). I'll have to let everyone know how it goes :)