• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone had twins!!!!!

Hi!

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had twins and could give me some advice. I had my first ultrasound last week and he told me I was having twins! Was so shocked, but very excited!

I have had one hospital visit for some intravenous steroids because my Crohn's seems to have flared up because of all the hormones and my regular medication doesn't seem to be as effective as it has been in the past.

I'm on Humira, 800mg Flagyl and 10mg Prednisone. I'm a little concerned about how my body is going to hold up. I keep getting these pains and cramps and not sure if it's my Crohn's or the pregnancy? So confusing as this is my first pregnancy.

Amanda

Hi Amanda... sorry I don't have an advice but I wanted to say a big Congrats to you, I hope all goes well.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Yipee!! Great news. How far along are you? No experience with twins here only 3 singletons....Congratulations.

hi there,
i can't help out, haven't had any children, let alone twins, but i wanted to offer a big Congratulations! :)

Congrats Amanda - I know you have to be so excited!! I have not had twins, but I did flare during my second pregnancy. It was difficult to know the difference because of everything that is going on with your body (and IN it!), I had a very good GI doc and OB to get my through. Hopefully you do as well, and they can monitor you very closely - esp. with the twins. I'd watch for bleeding and just making sure they are wiggling around like they are supposed to every day (if you are that far along) and try not to worry too much about the rest, you want to keep that stress level down as well. Fingers crossed everything goes well - let us know!!

Congratulations! Way exciting. :)

Your uterus is going to feel achy and crampy because it's getting ready to accommodate a lot of growing and stretching. I've only had single pregnancies, but mine would ache so bad that they were worse than menstrual cramps (which would terrify anyone). If it gets really uncomfortable, just make sure to lie on your left side and drink plenty of water. Good luck!

I've only had one kiddo and it was pretty much up and down throughout my pregnancy. In the early months I had a lot of pain in my pelvic area if I streched or reached back for anything. I'm pretty sure it was just the muscles. This is completely normal. Scary...but normal.

I had the worst heartburn in my third trimester but I quickly learned what foods caused it and normally if I drank a glass of milk I felt better.

I had a terrible flare in my third trimester and had really bad D. If I ate one bite of food somehow tons of D would come out. I know gross. I ended up losing five pounds in a week when I was supposed to be gaining a pound every week.

I don't remember if I was in my first or second trimester...but it was before they take you to the OB triage in the hospital. I had the worst nausea. One sip of water and I was puking and dry heaving for hours. It was terrible. I didn't have any morning sickness or anything except for this. I ended up having to take suppositories since I couldn't drink or eat anything. They called it Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Apparently, only one percent of women get that. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Don't worry about calling your OB or gastro with any questions. I called for everything because my GI issues seemed to get really exacerbated at some times.

I'm probably rambling now. Even though I had some tough times health wise when I was pregnant; I absolutely loved being pregnant.

Congratulations and I hope your pregnancy will be easy!

Thanks to you all for the congrats and words of advice. It made me feel so much better.

Because of the holidays all my doctors are away at the moment so I decided to see a GP about the pain I was having. She is checking for a urinary infection but seems to believe that it's all a normal part of my uterus expanding. I didn't know it was normal! Still glad I went to get it checked out for peace of mind.

They are fraternal twins. Had a scan last Tuesday and the approx due date is the 1st July. One is 4 days older than the other. It's been a very amazing experience.

Thanks again for all your advice and well wishes. It means alot.

Amanda

Wow - how the heck do they know that? I'm a fraternal twin as well. Hmmm, wonder if one of us is "older" than the other! I'll let her be older.....hee hee!

I just was diagnosed a month or so ago with Crohns--My twins or 9ish--They are what keeps me moving. I had them and three years later, developed colitis. My pregnency was pretty uneventful. I'm about 5 ft two, only gained 30 pds....they went full term--7.9 & 7.6!!! You will love having them! I had some stretching and aching...but, my IBD developed after... go figure. They will make you push yourself to your limits....sleep now...wish you lived close...I'd come and help you :)!!!! Sue