• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone have allergies?

The reason I'm asking is because seeing as no one in my family has a history of digestive problems, does anyone think people with allergies are at a higher risk to develop an auto-immune ailment?

I've suffered with Hay fever all my life and we all know allergies are caused by an over active immune system, basically the body attacking itself,just like an auto immune illness, so do you think they are related in anyway?

(This is probably an already known fact, if so, my bad, hehe)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I recently had allergy testing done (for the first time) - the only things I came up positive for were dust and cats.....yet the horse spot itched like mad - but no bump so no positive test.....

I've always wondered about this too. I have the same allergies--cats and dust, plus horses. Generally not a problem, but sometimes severe enough to make me wonder about a connection to Crohn's Disease.

My sister had/has severe allergies. I have never demonstrated allergy symptoms and so have never been tested. Maybe post a poll? The results would be interesting.