• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone heard of emu oil for Crohn's?

Cool! Near where we live (in Finland) there is a farm where is EMU's and they sell emu oil, but only in external use, it's good for psoriasis, my hubby has proriasis and he uses oil to his skin.

Haven't heard the internal use though.

Jimena, that is all I've heard about emu oil too, for use with psoriasis. I have it as well, heard this years ago. A coworker used it and got rid of hers.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Sounds intersting.

The understanding/interpretation/conclusion I came to based on the links provided above is that the Omega 3 is what is effective in aiding digestive disorders. If that is the case this is not new research and you can find omega 3 in many sources such as chia seeds, salmon, and omega3 fish oil capsules. There are many doctors and some studies that have suggested omega 3 can help to calm (not heal/cure) symptoms and aid in maintaining remission. It is considered a complimentary treatment (not primary treatment) for crohn's and other IBD.

Omega 3 is also good for helping improve your skin.

Omega-3 fatty acids, such as those found in fish oil (2.7 g per day) -- may help fight inflammation and reduce the chances of recurrence, but studies have been mixed. The study with the most positive results used a special type of fish oil – "enteric coated free fatty acid form" – that is not sold commercially. Some researchers suggest that measuring the blood levels of different types of fatty acids may help determine if fish oil would be useful. Do not take high doses of a fish oil supplement if you take blood thinning medication.

Source: Crohn's disease http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/crohns-disease-000043.htm#ixzz2UpMIWpTT
University of Maryland Medical Center
Is anyone aware of anything additional in this product beyond omega3 that aids the digestive system?