• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone here strength train?

Before I was diagnosed I was getting pretty big into powerlifting type routines at the gym. Big focus on deadlifts, squats, bench, etc.
I got really sick which led to my Crohn's diagnosis, so I haven't been to the gym in two months. I am just now starting to get to the point of where I think I can start lifting again.
I was just wondering if anyone here does similar routines and how do you manage it with Crohn's because these types of workouts can be pretty taxing.

I do lift weights, but follow the Body For Life type of workout where it is cardio every other day, then upper one day, cardio next, lower body one day, cardio next, etc...

I've been lifting the last couple of years with trainers off and on. It was tough at first, but once into a routine my body adjusted. It's been surprising to me at how well I've done. I've been able to put on close to 50lbs at this point. I never expected this, particularly with how run down I can feel at times.

What helped me was changing my diet, following the SCD/paleo eating plan. The supplements of vitamin D3 reaching a testing level around 50ng/ml, taking magnesium, vitamin K2, & melatonin for a good nights sleep helped also.

Good luck!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I lift every other day (and do cardio on the days I don't lift). I'm female, so I don't power-lift and I'm not trying to get huge or anything, my main goal is just to get as strong and healthy as I can. I use the weight machines and usually do pretty well with that although sometimes I have to skip the abdominals machines. I'm in remission - I don't know that I could work out with this type of regularity or intensity if I weren't in remission. Even so, yeah, it does get exhausting at times, but I feel like I gain some energy too the more I work out. It also makes me happy and relieves the stress. I rarely feel depressed these days and I attribute that to regular exercise.

Not a lifter, but I understand intense workouts, I'm a runner, ran varsity XC in university and also competed at world military XC championships. I had to come to terms with the fact that there are going to be times where I cannot train like I used to be able to. I take advantage of when I feel well, and if I don't, I adjust my training and my goals and just run for fun.

No powerlifting, but I do a lot of core strengthening exercises. I moved from free weights to bodyweight exercises (dips, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.) mostly for personal preference. That also allows me to work out without a lot of gear at home - very important when you never know how you will feel on any particular day. It allows me to exercise more frequently when I feel up to it. I incorporate boxing workouts for cardio also (anyone else a fan of the Bas Rutten mixed and Thai workouts?)

Best of luck with your routine.

Yeah I do strength routines when I go, I prefer it to hypertrophy since who doesn't like seeing big numbers :p

As for what I do I've been doing Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, throwing in a few assistance lifts along side the main lifts. It seems to go fairly well, I haven't injured anything yet and my lifts are all going up (some faster than others :p). It's a really good routine even if you're not "Starting" strength, just because of what it revolves around.

If you just want to increase the big 3, then something like this is the best way. You'll look bigger doing hypertrophy, but this gets you insanely strong :p Especially if you can manage to follow the routine completely (Including a gallon of milk a day).

Do you go to a special powerlifting gym? Do they have those in America?

I too was to running Starting Strength. Going to try and get back in to it. I didnt have a powerlifting gym here but they do exist here. I might try and find one

Yeah, it's a good routine isn't it? :p I mean I know a few other ones, but generally they're all fairly similar just usually swapping out power cleans for something easier. But I like doing those to help out with the squats too since that's what I have most trouble with, and just adding in some wide grip pullups and dips. I also curl every so often but that's a guilty pleasure :p

Power lifting gyms are good in the way that you can generally expect most people to know the right form for lifts and things, and they'll help out a bit more too. It's just people aiming for the same goal really, so they tend to be a bit more cooperative and they actually put the plates back on the rack. I mean sure you can do the routines anywhere (that allows deadlifting, I'm reminded of the planet fitness no deadlift policy now ha), but it's nice having a fairly well run gym.

Yeah it is a really good program and the book/video helped me tremendously on my form. I really enjoyed seeing my strength increase. Do you find yourself able to recover and eat well enough with Crohns?

Eating I don't find too much of a problem, I think my recovery is slightly slower though, or rather I'm stalling a bit faster than other people :p Especially on some things more than others. I just take it as me needing a bit longer than other people, but at least I can still do it

kiny

I stopped doing deadlift because I don't want to risk back injury but I know some people have np with it.

routine

-pull ups and lying pull up for my back
-military press for my shoulders with dumbells
-hammer curl
-chest press with dumbells
-squats

I do them because they don't involve machines and they're all compound, my goal is just to remain a decent weight without making it too hard on myself.

Yeah you can mess up your back doing deadlifts, but only if you do them with bad form. So long as you get someone to check every so often it's fine.

Also how do you feel doing seated shoulder presses? I feel weird doing them, but I guess that's just because I'm used to doing standing barbell OHP right?

I have lifted for a long time, and even when I was diagnosed with Crohns, I never stopped. Ok I had to re-evaluate my routines and cut back un necessary exercises to focus my limited energy on what mattered to me for my goals.

These days I have my perfect routine that works well for me, and leaves me with plenty of energy to recover.

Get back to lifting I say!