• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone here with experience using LDN and Entocort simultaneously?

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Howdy folks,

I know it's been mentioned here before, but has anyone here on LDN treated a flare with Entocort while staying on the LDN? I'm currently doing it now, just curious about others' experiences. Thanks in advance.

Kev

I don't know of anyone.. but I believe that there have been folks who have combined LDN with up to 10 mg of pred. Now, my very basic understanding is the Entocort is one 'form' of cortical steroid, designed to be absorbed only in the gi tract, thereby lessening the potential of steroid issues.. AKA side effects. I'm not medically qualified to give an opinion.. but my wild assed quess is that the same dosage of Entocort could be used with LDN (10 mg). I have nothing to back that up with other than assumption.

There is someone who was on full dose Entocort along with LDN, I'll try and remember maybe Ctrl Z?
I also know of someone personally who takes LDN along with Entocort as it was the only way the doc would prescribe the LDN as long as she agreed to stay on Entocort. She is doing a lot better with no apparent problems.

My son is on 6 to 9 mg budesonide and LDN 4.5 mg for almost a year. He has done reasonably well (except currently he is having a flare from a lot of stress).

I was on prednisone, entocort, and LDN all at once. It seemed the LDN helped quite a bit for a month or two (after waiting three months to begin seeing results). So all in all, I took it for six months before it stopped working. I kept taking for two more months, hoping it was just a fluke and it would start working again. But, alas, it did not... Apparently my body rejected it just like all the others. Thinking about trying it again, may get some relief since I've been off it for awhile. It's just one of those things that are very expensive to take just for the hell of it. If it were a $7 copay covered by insurance I would keep taking it whether it was working or not... but of course it isn't covered and costs around $100/month. :(

JDTM, May I ask what did you do? If you used entocort, what was the dose and what was the effects? How long did it take to work? How many months did you use it? I am on 4.5mg ldn for nearly 3 months and I was doing great but I started flare and used Rifaximin like you with no/worse results. Now I'm thinking of using entocort with ldn.
Thanks for reply.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Since being on LDN, I've done a quick taper with budesonide (a week of 9mg, a week of 6mg, and a final week of 3mg) with my gastroenterologist's blessing. It seemed to work for me, as I experienced what I think was something like a "mini-flare," or perhaps it was the beginning of a flare-up that I caught early, so to speak.

Before I tried LDN, however, my first go round was similar but each round was a month long instead of just a week. (So, one month of 9mg, one month of 6mg, and one month of 3mg.) It seemed to do the trick for me -- my only caveat is that I had a couple of false starts with the drug, as when I was first diagnosed I was supremely depressed, and I was under the impression that the drug was causing it. Because of that, I stopped almost immediately after starting it, but over time I gradually got to the point where I was ready to try it again, and it did what it was supposed to do. I eventually got to a point where I was "good enough" to start trying LDN -- I wasn't 100% after my run with budesonide, but I was definitely doing better than when I was first diagnosed.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I would think that using Entocort with LDN would be pretty much OK, and if you did the normal three month course, that might work well for you in terms of getting the flare under control while staying on LDN. I know that staying on corticosteroids isn't exactly the best idea, but I found that Entocort was a lot more manageable and a lot less side-effect-y than Prednisone.