• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone in UK with 16/17/18 year old kids?

Yes my son just turned 17 yesterday. So far we have been very lucky as he tends to be fairly chilled. He loves school, does really well and thankfully likes hospital and blood tests, etc. The main issue we have is tiredness. Some days you can tell he just needs to stay home and chill, he gets really quiet and just stays in his room. It usually doesn't last too long though. i either leave him in peace or sit quietly in his room reading a book just to give him some company.

Yes my son is 16 doing well in school, doesn't go out much due to having diarrhoea and scared he won't get to bathroom in time stays in his room most of the time playing games on laptop just a typical teenager.

Just a thought but have you considered setting up savings accounts for him that you can contribute towards over his life time. It may seem a silly thing to suggest but one of the major impacts that Crohns has on my life is financial insecurity. That way if he is ever away from work due to illness he has a pot of money on which he can rely. Claiming benefits for relapsing and remitting conditions such as Crohns are notoriously difficult as well. So a little fund of money will help allay any financial fears he may have later in life.

The thing that I wish my parents had told me when I was younger is that it does get better. That yes it will have a considerable impact on your life but it will make you a stronger, more rounded individual In short, just tell them everything is going to be ok.

All the best.