• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone know of any Crohn's Literate GI doctors in Chicago IL???

I am searching for different GI doctors here in Chicago IL where I live as I am looking into getting a second opinion. Also, I am thinking my GI doc is close to retiring soon anyhow. Does anyone know any Good GI doctors who are knowledgeable about Crohn' s disease in the Chicago land area?? I would like a doctor who is open minded with a nice bedside manner.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if they're still doing this, but I know for awhile they were doing stem cell transplants at Northwestern specifically for Crohn's, and I believe I read that the name of the doctor in charge of that was Dr. Burt. So that might be a place to start, I would imagine they know a lot about Crohn's at Northwestern if they did (or are still doing?) that type of treatments there.

Thanks Cat and Scipio. The GI doc I am seeing now is actually at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. I mean he is really nice, has a great bedside manner, but I think he is close to retiring. I mean he only has office hours on Friday mornings. I think he is more just part time now. I called the office this morning again to ask the nurse if I can get in before Next Friday. I do not want to wait that long. Sadly, it sometimes takes the nurse a day or two to even get back to me! That part is very annoying. Sorry, but I think they should get back to the patients at least that same day at some point. That is one thing I find very frustrating. I wonder if it is only certain doctors there where their strong suit is IBD. If I do switch I could stay at Northwestern or possibly maybe try University of Chicago. I wish I knew someone who actually had experience with a certain doctor, I mean to know if they are really good or not. I will admit, Northwestern Memorial is supposed to be one of the Top hospitals here in and all around the Chicago land area and suburbs, though I have seen doctors here in this hospital that sucked. Their ER department really sucks! One of the worst ER's I have been in. As far as University of Chicago,The last time I was there was when I was having upper gut issues like 12 years ago. I saw the head professor of gastroenterology there and he was a complete A**-Hole. He is the one who told me all my issues were because I was a woman and women always make mountains out of mole hills! I remember that appointment, my husband was with me and I Had literally lost 34 to 35 pounds in a 2 month period. At the time this doctor said he could not help me . I asked him to refer me to the Mayo clinic( I was having some very odd issue after coming down with a virus after I had gotten a flu shot. My whole throat was burning as if I had a third degree burn all down my throat. I had been dealing with this for a few months already at this point). IT was awful. He refused to write me a referral to Mayo Clinic saying that I would be a waste of their time because if he could not figure out what was going on with me, they would not be able too!!! Needless to say, my hubby went off on this guy and gave him a piece of his mind Lol. His Assistant pulled me to the side and told me I should definitely go to the Mayo clinic, not to listen to him! Yes, his own assistant told me that. Really sad. I am guessing that guy has retired by now though, I mean he had to be almost 80 yrs old then at the time. It was an awful experience. Maybe things have changed though since then. I know University of Chicago is one of the only hospitals that do Fecal Transplants for people with C-diff, so they are up to date on things like that.

Well, for now I guess I will hope the nurse calls me back and gets me in earlier. I will see what my GI doc says. If I feel he is not helping me adequately, then I am going to try and get another opinion. It sucks because that will take time, usually 2 months at least to get in to a new doctor as a new patient.

Scipio

Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University School of Medicine are affiliated but are not the same thing. The advantage of going to an IBD Center at ether Northwestern School of Medicine or Univ. of Chicago School of Medicine is that you are certain to end up with a doc whose main interest and expertise is IBD.

With a large GI staff such as at Northwestern Memorial, all of the docs will be competent with IBD but for many of them their main interest may well be something else, say IBS or celiac disease. Who knows?

Dr. Hanauer at Northwestern and Drs. Rubin and Cohen at Chicago are all famous IBD docs. You see them speaking at the big Crohn's medical meetings. Their fame is based primarily on their research achievements, so we don't know anything about their bedside manners. But at least we can be certain that they are very knowledgeable and interested in IBD. It is the entire focus of their careers.

Yes, I totally see what your saying. I think it is important to have a doctor who is very knowledgeable as well as has a good bedside manner. With these kind of issues, you almost have to have a doctor who is compassionate, not one who is emotionless and cold. I mean for certain things like heart issues, I do not necessarily need a compassionate kind doctor, more one who knows what the heck he or she is doing. However, with a problem that affects the GI system, it usually comes with pain and all sorts of symptoms so you definitely need someone who is empathetic and compassionate as well Knowledgeable. I know with my Bladder disease ( Interstitial Cystitis) which can be severely disabling and painful, it was very important for me to have a kind and understanding doctor. I also think it is very important for me to have a doctor who is Open minded. You almost always need an open minded doctor when it comes to these types of chronic illnesses that are not very well understood.

I think I will look into Dr.Hanauer as I have read some good things about him. Sadly most of these doctors are like my doctor, all close to probably retiring( in their upper 60's already). I wish there was a woman GI doctor. I feel it would better suit me due to my having the bladder/ female issues as well. I think a lady GI doctor would be more understanding when it comes to the lady issues that some of these diseases can cause where a Male doctor could not really relate.

Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University School of Medicine are affiliated but are not the same thing. The advantage of going to an IBD Center at ether Northwestern School of Medicine or Univ. of Chicago School of Medicine is that you are certain to end up with a doc whose main interest and expertise is IBD.

With a large GI staff such as at Northwestern Memorial, all of the docs will be competent with IBD but for many of them their main interest may well be something else, say IBS or celiac disease. Who knows?

Dr. Hanauer at Northwestern and Drs. Rubin and Cohen at Chicago are all famous IBD docs. You see them speaking at the big Crohn's medical meetings. Their fame is based primarily on their research achievements, so we don't know anything about their bedside manners. But at least we can be certain that they are very knowledgeable and interested in IBD. It is the entire focus of their careers.

Scipio

There are many women GI doctors, including several right there on the staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital . Check their website. They may not be as famous as Dr. Hanauer, but there a lots of women GIs in practice all across the country.

Thanks, I will check into that.

There are many women GI doctors, including several right there on the staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital . Check their website. They may not be as famous as Dr. Hanauer, but there a lots of women GIs in practice all across the country.

Dr. Hanauer is my Doctor at Northwestern. If you can get an appointment with him make sure you gather all of your colonoscopy and and CT scan CD/DVD's and ALL medical record and send them to Northwestern. He truly is the best,Let me know if you have any questions. You can PM me if needed.

I called CCFA and they sent me a list of Drs specializing in IBD in my area.
They were actually surprised at how few were in my area. GI docs are not
all the same!

Lauren