• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone NOT prescribed Prednisone?

Ok so I'm sure several of you are aware of my growing obsession with the possibility of taking prednisone. I can't help it, apart from my last flare-up, knock on wood, I've felt fine and dandy. And now I learn I may have to take prednisone which may make me sicker than I have been for a while now?

It seems almost everyone has been prescribed pred. So I guess I'm asking:

1. Is this the most common medication prescribed for Crohn's?

2. (yes I've asked before) How likely is a doctor to take into account I'm already significantly overweight (remedying this though) so can't really afford to put on any more

3. Is this mostly prescribed for flare-ups (as has been suggested) and if so am I likely to have other options?

4. On what criteria is this or other medications decided on for patients?

5. IS IT AVOIDABLE??? I FEEL FINE (apart from a little crazy and a lot upset!)

Thank you for listening, stay tuned for more panic and rants from yours truly.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i took pred for 8 months in my early days of crohns. when i change doctors i was told i should not have been on pred for so long. and now have a risk of osteoporis. gee thanks guys!!!

i didnt put on any extra weight though. and it did calm everything down.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I have been on Prednisone off and on for many years. I wish I could tell you something to relieve your anxiety over this medication. I would much rather take this medication than feel so crappy. So... I have a love hate relationship with this medicine...It really does work well for reducing inflammation and pain.

I think, if you are on it short term, you will be able to handle the side effects. Really discuss your fears with your doctor and try to come up with a mutual game plan as to how long you will be on it and how fast you taper off of it.

There becomes a point at which you are so sick for so long and you are so tired of not eating that Prednisone sounds wonderful. Because it is. It starts working SO fast and it makes you able to eat.

I hated prednisone after the first time I took it (8 months) and I said I'd never do it again. But when you are deciding between an operation and an steroid, the steroid looks so good. That being said, I'm glad I'm on the Pred right now... even if I have gained 25 pounds.

And that I can understand. Going on the prednisone to decrease the symptoms/pain and avoid surgery. but if i'm feeling ok...in fact (bang on wood) I've been feeling ok for quite some time with minimal discomfort, I just hope that lasts. so i'm just hoping there's a way around it for the time being.

I have never been on it, but if I had no other option, (and I always find another option) I would use it short term.

Unless it was a matter of life or death, I would not even consider it as a long term treatment.

Dan

I have just finished an 8 week course of Prednisolone and had no noticable side effects from it. It really is a god-send because it acts so fast and is so effective at making you somewhere near 'normal' again.

Only problem is, now I have tapered and come off it, a lot of the old symptoms are returning!

I was immediately put on it back when I was diagnosed in 1998 but then it stopped working and I had surgery - then when Remicade became available I was put on that - has no one suggested Remicade?

Remicade? I've seen that a bit but not read much into it. I guess my biggest conundrum is I don't know much, which will be somewhat rectified tomorrow. I have felt really great since my last flare up (HOPE THAT LASTS!!) without any meds so I'm hoping he won't see pred as necessary... but I've still no idea what medication is chosen for what problem.

nogutsnoglory

pred is controversial my GI would never put me on it, i was on it in the past though and i hated it. try entocort its a steroid 90% absorbed in the gut so u dont suffer the side effects.

Should never be on pred for longer that 12 weeks, 1 month at high dose then slowly decreasing and only when other meds haven't worked. due to regular use over the years it made me osteoporotic at 21. never gained weight with it tho!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I was on pred for 9 months (Sept 08 - June 09). Was supposed to be only for 3 months but I flared badly on taper because I was allergic to the ASA drugs and my GI (I've since switched) didn't figure that out nor did he start putting me on something else (like 6mp which I'm on now). By the time I switched GIs and gradually got off it (had long taper from March - June), so much time had passed.

I wish I hadn't been on it so long. That said, it worked for me. I hope never to go back on it, but it did bring me under control. Fingers crossed I don't develop osteoperosis, but I've dedicated myself to exercise and vitamin regimen.

Good luck.

I don't think they have Entocort in Aus :(!! Which is really unfortunate. I'm going in for my colonoscopy in about two hours so I'll find out more then. Also, Shantel, as for the q about why Pred, last time I went in I was coming off a flare up that seems to have corrected itself somewhat *knock on wood again again again* so was in some discomfort when I spoke to the doc. but since then it seems to have been all up hill... though it's a sudden sort of disease, I know.

Last edited:

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Chrohn's Chick said:
I don't think they have Entocort in Aus :(!! Which I really unfortunate. I'm going in for my colonoscopy in about two hours so I'll find out more then. Also, Shantel, as for the q about why Pred, last time I went in I was coming off a flare up that seems to have corrected itself somewhat *knock on wood again again again* so was in some discomfort when I spoke to the doc. but since then it seems to have been all up hill... though it's a sudden sort of disease, I know.
Good luck with the scope

C

CELDamage

Prednisone Good or Evil?

I was prescribed Prednisone when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's and I must say it really did help and the only side effect I experienced was weight gain.

However, when I switched doctors my new doctor took me off of prednisone and has since never allowed me to take it again. He was nice enough to explain why? Apparently there are some bad side effects with long term use and he was worried that when I was really in need of assistance that I would not have prednisone to fall back on.

I wish he would though. I have been off predinose for 3 years and I feel awful. Nothing seems to work for me. I have been on high doses of Morphine for the last 3 years as well and I was almost off the Morphine while I was taking prednisone. I miss it.

Ha ha, 'ODD' is one way to describe it! It was all the farying afterwards that I found interesting :) Hope it all went well and you get some results soon so you can know what is happening and how to stay well

Shaz

haha thanks Shaz. After the prep, I totally agree: NEVER trust a fart! and yes it's weird just sitting there letting loose around people i don't know at all... if i wasn't so drugged out it would have been embarrassing.

Whenever I have a very bad flare, I take Prednsione for about 8-12 weeks and it calms things down. Currently I'm in this situation, and am on 50 mg and starting to taper tomorrow.

I was prescribed Entocort in place of Prednisone, It seemed to work fine except for giving me daily headaches, sometimes migraines. I am now going to be put on prednisone to counteract reactions I'm having to Remicade treatments so I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested...