• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone start an antidepressant for the first time during an active flare?

Hello,
First time poster here! Diagnosed with Crohn’s in 2006 age 25. I’m having a pretty bad flare right now. Didn’t respond to hydrocortisone enemas and now not responding to budesonide. I’m bleeding a lot. Weight down from around 103 to 98lbs.
Has anyone on here ever started an antidepressant during a flare?? I took my very first Wellbutrin 150mg yesterday, but now thinking maybe I should wait until this flare is over??

Wellbutrin is a very hard drug to take IMO. I have never started a mental health drug during a bad flare. I always ask to start with the smallest sized pill when taking metal health drugs and Wellbutrin would of been 75 mg. You will need to watch your food intake a lot when taking Wellbutrin as there is a chance of getting a touch of mania the first few weeks of the medication.

I have no personal experience of this but I am aware of a theory that some antidepressants can help Crohn’s - no idea if it works but I’ll try and post a link if you’re interested

Oh wow! This is so interesting. I can’t wait to do more research on this. Thanks so much!

Oh wow! This is so interesting. I can’t wait to do more research on this. Thanks so much!
Delta_Hippo, check this study out. Very interesting.

I personally have taken Lexapro (10mg) for five or six months. But I basically never reach remission. So, I don't have much to offer.