• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone tried an anti-viral?

nogutsnoglory

New research has shown that a lot of viruses are at play in IBD. To my knowledge no trials have examined the use of anti-viral drugs and their impact on crohns. Has anyone had personal experience for better or worse?

I have not researched much on antiviral drugs. What I have gathered from people who have used them is they are real hard on the body. They are generally not used unless it is a life threatening virus such as HIV or the like.

Do you know which viruses are implicated for Crohns?

Dan

nogutsnoglory

I don't know which viruses but the study said there may be several. There are lighter anti-viral meds such as ones used for shingles and herpes and experimentally in chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm considering trying this.

I have heard of epstien bar virus mentioned for CFS and XMRV virus but can't recall off hand the most mentioned pathogen, or if it was a virus or bacterium.

I belonged to a CFS forum for a time because of the possible connection to Lyme disease. I was researching a lot when my wife was ill. That was ten years ago. I hardly remember what I did yesterday.

Good luck.

Dan