• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone tried Levsin?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Hey all -- haven't been around -- I've been working my butt off doing medical transcription which sure teaches you a lot about EVERYTHING!

Anyone tried Levsin? I am now at my 2 year anniversary of diagnosis and my GI doc told me, that since I am doing so well, that I should toss the Entocort and Pentasa in the trash. He says the newest trend is that they don't even do anything.

I told him that the only time I even feel a bit of a twinge in my side is when I get stressed out. He gave me Levsin which is a muscle relaxer but is pretty gut-specific.

Delightful! I discovered that I ALWAYS have a slight tenseness in that area -- I discovered that because when it relaxed, I was just stunned.

Anyone else try this? I hear some people get blurry vision and stuff. I can take 2 and have no problems. I'm liking this one . . . personally.

i hadnt heard of levsin, so i looked it up on google. its an antispasmodic. i used to take a similar drug, merbentyl syrup, and had it as an emergency standby for years, as i'd developed an abdominal hernia, and sometimes the bowel would protrude into a lump on my stomach & the pain was excrutiating.. i'd take the antispasmodic and within 10 minutes or so, my gut had relaxed enough for me to push the lump back in. not very nice :( i had it surgically repaired in the end. but the merbentyl was brilliant, really helped me through those times.

oh, and yes, it caused blurry vision, and made my eyes want to close.

Good to see you back. You have not lived until you have transcribed for someone whose second language is English. My mother has had to do this.

Could you elaborate on the Entocort and Pentasa not doing anything.
Is there some study out there on this?

Dan

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I have also heard that pentasa doesn't actually "do" anything.
I asked my GI's assistant where exactly the pentasa works in the intestines, and if my Crohn's was in the same area, and he just shook his head and said "uh........ it doesn't really work." What? That was the weirdest answer I had expected. When I asked my GI at the next appointment about that, he just looked at me like the other guy was crazy. Who knows. Would they really put people on stuff that doesn't work? (Do I really want the answer to that question?)

It was recently revealed that SSRI antidepression medication only works in a very small group of severely depressed patients. Such a small group that the drugs would not have been approved if the data would have been available at the time.

In the meantime millions are either currently on, or have used these and payed for the privilege of a placebo effect. Teens have committed suicide while on these drugs that could not help most of them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-udontu-work-ndash-official-study-787264.html

There are plenty of scams in the pharmaceutical industry. One reason I was so careful before I signed on to any medication.

That is why I was curious about the drugs Cara mentioned.

Dan

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Yes, the pharmaceutical industry is second only to the oil industry in lobbying and manipulation.

My GI doc said Entocort may have some effect in the long run, if taken for quite some time. Pentasa, he said, is proving not useful.

And yes, this illness is something they keep throwing meds at hoping to do something useful.

This Levsin, I thought I would believe it when I saw it, or felt it. Yep, it just seems to relax my gut without relaxing all of me. It's nice. Since I have the stricture thing happening, it seems to help. I didn't realize that I even had a constant sensation in the right lower quadrant until it relaxed and I realized it was gone. I'm enjoying it for the time being.