• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone used DMSO for IBD?

Hi gang, I haven't posted for a long time. I was just wondering if any of you have tried DMSO yet? if so what was the outcome & how did you use it? I am waiting for a bottle of the stuff to arrive from the US. I am flaring and thought i'd give it a go before moving onto Humira. currently on pred & Entocort, not really working that well this time around, was on Remicade last year but it gave me lots if side effects. anyways any feedback on DMSO would help. thanks
Michael

Dimethylsulfoxide! Haven't thought of that in years. I remember it was really big in the early '80's, people were using it for all kinds of things. One notable effect is that when applied topically, the person would soon taste a garlic-like flavor in their mouths. I had no gut issues at the time, so I'm not sure if IBD was one of the uses. Doing a little searching, I see a 2006 study where the chemical was given in doses of 3-20 grams/day, and which seems to indicate it may be effective at reducing diarrhea and protein-losing gastroenteropathy associated with amyloidosis in Crohn's. A couple of other studies seem to show that DMSO limited chemically induced IBD in rats under a number of circumstances. A study from the late '70's showed the chemical was quite effective at relieving symptoms in a number of conditions characterized by genitourinary inflammation, and apparently, the US FDA does sanction its use in a interstitial cystitis. It's said to be pretty non-toxic, so it sounds like it's worth a shot. I'd love to know what results you have, if any, please report back.

DMSO is basically a solvent, it should be pretty cheap, and at least in the US, I don't believe it's controlled in any way. So if it's at least sometimes effective in certain disorders, it's cheap, and relatively safe, people might wonder, why isn't it used more? Simple. Big phrama prefers to produce and market compounds it can patent, and thereby maximize profits in their sale, to non-patentable chemicals like DMSO.

Again, I'd love to hear what your experiences are once you give it a try.

David

Hi David,compared to all the toxic stuff my doctors put me on I thought it's worth a shot. From what I've read you gently rub a teaspoon of the 70% DMSO solution on the Abdomen twice a day until symptoms ease then stop. I'll keep everyone updated when I start using it. I just hope I wont smell too much while using the stuff apparently the garlic type smell comes out if the sweat glands too. YUK!

I should also mention I scourced high grade DMSO from a reputable place in the US. Apparently it's dangerous to use DMSO thats not ultra pure? Could be just a sales gimic but better safe than sorry. I bought it from a store that is owned by the doctor that started all of the initial research into DMSO in the 60's.

Crampy - Well I hope it works for you. I recall when it was hot, you could buy it by the quart (if not gallon) over the counter in just about every drug store.

Where are you located?

DMSO will drag anything on your skin into the body along with it.

I have never used it, but I think it could be useful for certain situations. Be careful not to have soap, scented body stuff or anything else on your skin when using it.

I doubt you could find it in Australia or Great Britain. They both have eliminated the availability of many supplements, and alternative treatment substances from the public. I am pretty sure you are under the Codex Alimentarius, which more or less eliminates a lot of what we still have available in the U.S.

If you want to get to the brass tacks, of the matter, it gives more control over treatments to pharmaceutical companies, by limiting the options available to you.

We are under constant threat of it here also. So far it has been beaten back at every turn. I spend a bit of time writing our representatives on the folly of this approach. The latest assault came from a bill sponsored by Senator John McCain.

http://nutritionbusinessjournal.com/supplements/news/mccain-bill-supplements-nutrition-business/

I encourage every American to fight any limitation on supplements. If for no other reason, to keep one more of freedoms you have left.

Dan

Hi Dan, I agree with you anything that they can't slap an exclusive patent on they dont bother about, and then they try extra hard to discredit it. I have just started using the DMSO lotion. Tonight is my second application. I'll let everyone know wether it is a hit or a big miss. I tried LDN but that didn't work becuase I couldn't tolerate the recommended dose that is usual used to treat IBD. Wish me luck :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Crampy, so where did you get LDN from was it here in Australia or overseas. I have been thinking about trying it as Im trying to go the more natural route at present but didn't realise you could gain access to it in Aust.

I agree Dan its crap how they limit our access to supplements and alternative treatments... it doesn't give us much options over here but to go the toxic route!!

Would be very interest to know if any of these treatments work.. I know you are a big fan of LDN Dan.

Hi Tanya, I got a script from a doctor called Dr.N Beck from Western Australia www.beatingalcohol.com he prescribes LDN for lots of different disease but mainly prescribes it for alcoholism. He gave me a script after I wrote to him, nice guy. I asked him for 1.5mg & 3mg LDN so I can slowly work my way upto 4.5mgs. I had a compounding pharmacy here in Melbourne dispense the drug but Dr Becks clinic said they can also arrange it. Very important that when asking for LDN make sure it has the non-active filler in it called Avacil. On another note hope the storms bypass you guys up there, it looks like a potentially nasty storm. Take Care

Michael

Hi Crampy Gut:

I actually tried DMSO last year. I heard about DMSO from the following Web site: http://www.krysalis.net/crohn.htm. Dr. Gregg is a very interesting guy. He is a chemist and chemical engineer by trade. I even called him once (he posts his phone number on the Web site) to ask some questions about the information/instructions on his Web site. He proposes serveral biochemical causes of Crohn's that would require different treatments. I have tried DMSO and Melotonin, but have not tried the deuodenum powder. His Web site is a very interesting read, if only because he is someone who is actually trying to find the root cause of the disease and treat that, rather than just treat the symptoms. Those types of "healers" are so hard to find--few and far between.

Anyhow, I purchased my DMSO from Jacobs Lab--Dr. Jacob pioneered the medicinal use of DMSO and manufacturers and sells a pure version online.

Unfortunately, it did nothing for me. Dr. Gregg said if you don't see results within a few days, it likely won't work for you because your disease mechanism is different than that which would be affected by the DMSO. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope it works for you!!

Chris

Hi Chris, I bought a 70% DMSO solution from jacobs lab as well. Can I ask you please hiw much DMSO did you apply and how many times per day did you use it? I tried emailing Dr.Gregg on instructions on the best way to use DMSO for Crohns but he never wrote back. Currently I am applying 5ml onto my stomach after a shower, I then wipe off any left over residue after around 15mins. I only do this once per day at the moment. Any help would be really appreciated Chris, thanks.

Michael

I hate to tell you this Crampy, but I tried DMSO and it made me really really stink! Both my skin and my breath smelled terrible, like garlic but worse. My poor Jer didn't want to tell me because he was afraid that it was helping me so much and he didn't want to be the cause of me not taking something that worked just because I smelled. I was having a lot of night sweats at the time, so I figured it must be bad as I was making our sheets smell rotten. The breath was the worst which I thought was odd since it goes on your belly. The lotion itself smelled like roses, ironically enough.

I did feel like it worked though, so if it is worth it to you then go for it!

crampygut said:
Hi Dan, I agree with you anything that they can't slap an exclusive patent on they dont bother about, and then they try extra hard to discredit it. I have just started using the DMSO lotion. Tonight is my second application. I'll let everyone know wether it is a hit or a big miss. I tried LDN but that didn't work becuase I couldn't tolerate the recommended dose that is usual used to treat IBD. Wish me luck :smile:
Crampy - How many milligrams were you able to tolerate? Can you describe the adverse effects? I wonder if perhaps you were on any opioid pain medication at the time as well. It doesn't take more than a few days on anything from codeine upwards to begin to develop a tolerance, and since Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, it's conceivable the LDN was precipitating withdrawal symptoms. Were you experiencing any of the following: yawning, sweating, teary eyes, runny nose, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, goose flesh, dilated pupils, chills, rapid heart rate, nausea/vomiting, crampy abdominal pains, diarrhea, and muscle aches and pains? I'm very interested in this, please elaborate if possible.

Jers Girl, did you find that the DMSO it worked really well apart from the smell? And if so how long did it take before it kicked in? and what was your daily regime using it? Thanks in advance :)

David, I started at 4.5mg for around 3 weeks and found that it gave me huge problems with insomnia and day time dizziness. Then I got the doctor to prescribe 1.5mg & 3mg and I started, and started from 1.5mg and tried to work my way back upto 4.5mg but anytime I went past 3mg I got the bad insomnia and day time dizziness, so bad that I couldn't really drive or do much else that required being really alert. And at 3mg's I kept flaring so I gave up.

crampygut said:
David, I started at 4.5mg for around 3 weeks and found that it gave me huge problems with insomnia and day time dizziness. Then I got the doctor to prescribe 1.5mg & 3mg and I started, and started from 1.5mg and tried to work my way back upto 4.5mg but anytime I went past 3mg I got the bad insomnia and day time dizziness, so bad that I couldn't really drive or do much else that required being really alert. And at 3mg's I kept flaring so I gave up.
Crampy - So to clarify, you had no history of any opioid pain medication (codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, Tramadol/Ultram, etc) prior to using the Naltrexone?

Sorry David I should have added that I was not using any opiods of any kind, I read up a lot on LDN before taking and I stopped using codiene based pain killers long before starting LDN. I just think I was very sensitive to it, pity because I read a lot of people get great results when using it for IBD. It is a very safe drug to use when compared to the rubbish we currently take now for IBD. I might try it again at a later stage to see if I tolerate better. One thing I have noticed about my body since starting meds for IBD is that I take a particular drug one time and it does particular side effects and then the next time I take the same drug totally nothing no side effects?????? My body is truely strange :)

Here is something a person asked me about as a Crohn's treatment. I had never heard of the product, but it is the properties of the product that interested me.

I do not know of anyone who has tried it for Crohn's, but if I needed to find another way of keeping it in check, I would try this product.

Here is a U-Tube video on Immunocal. I do not know if it will help, but it is one of those things I would test for myself. Not much risk involved, other than it may not work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpPjewsoHM&feature=player_embedded

Dan

I may try it, just for the heck of it. The problem is I have no symptoms to gauge its effectiveness against. I may notice something, possibly increased energy of some other vague reaction, but I would not trust that as a solid indicator of effectiveness.

I guess I still do have that spot of Psoriasis or Pyroderma, and it never goes away completely. I could see if it does anything to that.

Maybe I will try it out, once I am back from our vacation. Going to be gone for a couple of weeks.

Dan

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
dmso has popular use in the US horse industry - used to get other medications into the skin and to affected areas....also used by itself.

Like others said, make sure your skin is clean as it will drag anything on it inside...also, WASH WELL after...as you don't want it absorbed into your hands either.....

(philly - edited to correct my info - thanks for catching my 'oops'!)

Last edited:
Actually, you don't want to use gloves! If you use latex/plastic gloves, the dmso will drag some latex/plastic into your system. I have read that you should carefully and thoroughly wash your hands and use organic cottonballs to apply the dmso.

I tried this yesterday..

How could this be working already! I am currently in a crohns flare and put this on my stomach yesterday and within an hour, I felt better. Also, today is the first day in about 4 months without pain or diarrhea! How could this be?? Very weird but I'm praying it continues to work because nothing else seems to be. I will keep you all posted.

i hadn't looked into DMSO until today, having read mom5272's posts... it's very interesting! i found a very informative wiki link.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide and also a testimonial from a Crohn's sufferer, who used DMSO under guidance from Dr. David Gregg, who has already been mentioned in this thread... http://www.krysalis.net/crohntest.htm

i think anyone considering using it should make sure they are fully informed and know to take all precautions necessary.. including great care not to introduce any other substances to the skin whilst applying, and wearing the correct gloves to rub the DMSO in.

i also have to add our usual disclaimer that any treatments recommended or shared on our forum are simply members' own thoughts and opinions - we are not doctors, and treatments should always be talked through with your medical carers first.